Redding Bushing Die (Neck Sizing)

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Trek4ward
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Redding Bushing Die (Neck Sizing)

Post by Trek4ward »

I did a search for the neck sizing diameters people are using for the Sierra 39gr BK's and Berger 35gr match varmints, and didn't see anything definitive, so I thought I'd ask the brain trust. I'm using Nosler brass. I'd like to get an idea where to start with bushing sizes so I don't have to buy 8 of them. I know the dummy round drill, and I'll do that when I get all of the components, but I thought I'd start looking around for the bushings while there's some sales ongoing. Thanks!
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Re: Redding Bushing Die (Neck Sizing)

Post by MZ5 »

Are you wanting to not measure the neck thickness of your brass? That’s the normal and appropriate thing to do.
Trek4ward

Post by Trek4ward »

As I said, I don't have all the components yet, so I was hoping maybe others had already done this drill and would know the proper bushing sizes. If not, I'll do up some dummy loads when it all gets here.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trek, as MZ noted, to really be sure of obtaining the correct bushing size, you really need to mic the thickness of your Nosler brass in the neck, THEN determine the correct bushing.

I'm shooting four 204R's and a 20VT. I use both Lapua and Nosler brass, but have about a thousand WW 204R cases that I've been shooting since 2006. I'm using a .226" bushing in all my .20 cal rifles to give a loaded neck diameter of .228". My chambers are .232" and .234", so plenty of bullet release clearance.

You may want to start out with that bushing size, but measure a loaded round at the neck to be sure you've got enough safe clearance for release. Most of us like at least .002" clearance.

(Neck thickness + neck thickness + .204" = Loaded neck thickness)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Trek4ward

Post by Trek4ward »

Thanks Rick. I'll have to wait and measure I guess. I was trying to jump on some idle time coming up to do some reloading. Guess I'll have to wait, measure and order the correct bushings.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

For what it is worth, I normally measure and keep my neck thickness in the 12 to 13 thousands range, then when I neck size or size new cased down, I also use the .226 bushing, which gives me the .232-.233 neck with a loaded round. Works well in all of my .20 cal with the chamber/neck measurements I have. Kind of the same as Rick and the others, I have talked with do. Bill K
MZ5

Post by MZ5 »

I have only 1 bushing-type neck sizer, and ended up with more bushings than I wanted for it basically because of the same desire for speed. That means I can’t fault you, Trek, but I do suspect you’ll be happier with the result if you measure. Rick’s bushing will _probably_ work for you, but maybe not. This basic factor is one of the reasons I dislike bushing dies, FWIW.
Trek4ward

Post by Trek4ward »

Let's just say I didn't read enough of this forum's posts before I made the decision to purchase the bushing die. If you read the "Best Dies" posts, it's bushing all the way, but when you read the load data posts, it's collet all the way.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trek, the primary advantage of bushing dies is that you're able to precisely match the ammo to your chamber neck for optimum accuracy. The bushing/collet argument has been going on for as long as the Ford/Chevy thing. I've been handloading since 1968 and have never owned a collet die and have targets shot with my rifles and loads that are bughole groups, all shot with bushing dies. (None of my loads appear in that forum post, but I'll gladly show you targets :mrgreen: )

Who knows, maybe by using a collet die, my accuracy could be better, so the argument goes on, but I'm certainly not changing what works for me. If you're a precision handloader, I'm certain you'll be happy with either.

I'd like to see someone here with both forms of dies to use the exact same loading practices with their pet load and do a test in the most controlled conditions possible. I'd still not change what I do no matter the results, but it sure would be an interesting test. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

MZ5

Post by MZ5 »

I’ll never argue whether one can or cannot get outstanding ammunition from a bushing neck sizer. If that’s what someone is arguing about, they don’t understand what the comparison between the two designs actually is.

I must confess, though, that I find the notion that we size the necks of our cases for the purpose of fitting chambers to be a bit whimsical. I believe we size the necks of our cases in order to hold the bullets properly. We typically size chambers to fit from there. ;-)