Velocity & Varget

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
KetelOne
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator

Velocity & Varget

Post by KetelOne »

Hi guys,
I had the magneto speed out yesterday and got an average velocity of 3550 fps out of my Savage Predator (24" tube). I'm running 27.2 grains of Varget and a 39 grain Sierra blitz king @ 1.999" (ogive). Does 3,550 seem a bit "pokey" to you guys?
Duker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 11, Savage dual port PTA. Both wear CBI barrels

Re: Velocity & Varget

Post by Duker »

How is it grouping? Accuracy trumps speed. With Varget @ 27.2 it sounds about right. Varget is a bit slow in the 204 case. If your not seeing pressure signs you could cautiously increase charge weight but will soon be into a compressed load. You may want to try some of the slightly faster powders like H4895, Reloader 10X, BLC-2 and Benchmark.
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

Do you see ‘pokey’ speeds with factory ammo? I don’t use Varget so cant comment on that, but every factory 204 I’ve ever personally seen or fired shows speeds _way_ lower than what is claimed either on ammo boxes or in load manuals. Unfortunately , this does not necessarily indicate that one can just keep stuffing powder into the case.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Well Hodgdon's data sheet show 3647 FPS with a load of 28.1c with a 40 grain bullet. So you load of 27.2 and the 39 grain would be about right. You could bumped it up some, by working up one tenth of a grain at a time and gain some, but do it slow and easy, watching for pressure signs to rise fast. But then again if you have the 27.2 grain load shooting that bullet in the area of 1/2 inch groups, then why not just stick with it. Accuracy trumps speed and the gain in FPS no critter would be able to tell the difference. Bill K
KetelOne

Post by KetelOne »

Bill K wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am Well Hodgdon's data sheet show 3647 FPS with a load of 28.1c with a 40 grain bullet. So you load of 27.2 and the 39 grain would be about right. You could bumped it up some, by working up one tenth of a grain at a time and gain some, but do it slow and easy, watching for pressure signs to rise fast. But then again if you have the 27.2 grain load shooting that bullet in the area of 1/2 inch groups, then why not just stick with it. Accuracy trumps speed and the gain in FPS no critter would be able to tell the difference. Bill K
Thanks, Bill K. Yup, it's shooting .25 to .50 MOA but at that velocity and with a BC of .287 I'll probably be 5" low at 300. I will test it to see. Would like a little less drop at that range. I'm also interested to try that 35 grain Berger. I use Berger VLDs in my 6.5 X 47 and they are quite impressive - any pricey too!
KetelOne

Post by KetelOne »

Well sure enough, last trip to the range I was 5" low at 300 yds (Chrono @ 3510 avg.) and this was at a 200 yard zero setting (.9" high POI 100). I'm gonna run a little ladder up to 27.7 grains just for fun and see what happens. I'd like to flatten things out a bit. Wish me luck!
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I messed around and lost a good day of shooting in January. I figured there guess was wrong and highs would be about sunset.
Have several powders and bullets loaded ready to try. That thing called a job sure gets in my way.
Look forward to your findings
Good luck;-)
Jeff