.204R throat erosion.

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
BitterClinger
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 LRPV

.204R throat erosion.

Post by BitterClinger »

Given the fact that these rifles seem to have extra ordinarily long throats, shooting relatively short bullets to begin with and a lot of hot high pressure gas forcing it's way down a tiny bore have any of you experienced significant throat erosion to the point of needing to set the barrel back? If so after how many rounds? Also does anyone know whether this would be more or less prevalent in a stainless vs chrome moly barrel?
I ask this question since I'm shopping for a better barrel and deciding on whether to spring for the stainless or CM steel. Also whether it would be prudent to go the full 26" to still have enough length after I set the barrel back in the future. I'm thinking 24 would be stiffer than the 26, but would be a limitation as it probably would be too short for getting good velocity after shortening.
BitterClinger
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 LRPV

Re: .204R throat erosion.

Post by BitterClinger »

Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong place.. I guess it doesn't belong in the reloading section.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bitter: PM sent.......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

KetelOne
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator

Post by KetelOne »

Hi Bitter Clinger,

This is an interesting question and one I ponder myself. I think the .204 is relatively kind on barrels and is less "overbore" than other cartridges but I'll leave it to others to chime in on this. On a .25-06 of mine, I've seen .005" throat erosion over 450 rounds but I doubt it's a valid comparison to the .204. As for taking barrels back, IMHO and after talking to some gunsmiths, you're better off just re-barreling the rifle at the end of the day.

Best regards,

KetelOne