weight differences in 32 gr. lead free bullets

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

weight differences in 32 gr. lead free bullets

Post by randyman »

While reloading the other night I put some of the bullets I was using on the scale to see how close to 32 gr. they actually were. I was really surprised how much variation there was. These were 32 gr. lead free ballistic tip Noslers. Is this typical of what you guys are seeing? I usually get out a pack of 100 primers and a box of 100 bullets and load away with whatever powder I'm using. I wonder how much my bullet path changes if the bullets are any wheres from 30.3 gr. to 32.1 gr.? Looks like I'm going to start grouping my rounds by bullet weight now when I'm trying to dial in a new load. I measured all these with my RCBS Chargemaster Lite that was warmed up, in a draft free area and calibrated. I triple checked those really light bullets just to make sure. I doubt I'd see much difference in performance if I was out shooting squirrels but when I'm doing load development I think I'd notice a big difference shooting off a bench at 100 yds. trying get that always fleeting 1/2" MOA.
32 gr. lead free bullets.jpg
32 gr. lead free bullets.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: weight differences in 32 gr. lead free bullets

Post by skipper »

That looks typical from my experience. You might want to measure the base to ogive length with a comparitor and see how the 31.8, 31.9, and 32 gr piles resort. Keep the bullets in the same weight sorted piles, but also sort by bearing surface. Then they will be sorted by weight and length. Use the other singles and such for the first shots through a freshly cleaned barrel.
If shooting groups, any five matched rounds will perform relatively the same resulting in a nice small group. That is, if all other variables are held to the same standard.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Now you can understand why most will weigh and keep in the same groups bullets for a tight group on paper and score i.e. the 5 shot shoot, etc.
As for out in the rat field, then it is not nearly as important, unless you really want to take the time and get nic picky.. All in fun and the squeeks don't know the difference, they just fly. Bill K
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Post by varget204 »

If you have a chronograph,I would check velocity,some loads that shoot good at 100 yards may not at 300 or farther.Usually caused by velocity differences between each shell.It's the same thing I ran into with the last 1000 40 grain lead bullets i bought,.7 to .8 grain difference low to high.The low end weight bullets have not shoot as good as the heavier ones out of my rifles.Hope this does not happen to you,It's a pain trying to adjust the lower weight bullets to get them to shoot the same.Maybe you will shoot some at distance to see what difference is.On bright side velocity will increase.It will be interesting to hear your results,when you test them.Good luck w/ them,hope they shoot bug holes for you.--varget204
randyman

Post by randyman »

Thanks for the input guys! I didn't do the math to see what the percentage was of the bullets that weren't the weight they were suppose to be but wow! Wish I could've that far off when I had my cabinet shop and not have customers complain. Were these bullets made by former weather forcasters? I've started sorting them into different bags and will go back and see how they measure out at the ogive with my comparator. Maybe this will get me a little higher up in the standings of this years 5 shot challenge! I'll save all the oddball bullets and use them out in the squirrel fields this year. I had been seeing quite a swing in bullet velocity with the chrony and this might explain some of it. Next you'll be telling me I need to weigh and sort the brass as well! (insert smiley face) Randy.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Randy: Just a short comment, besides weighing the bullets too match, I will also match and prep the cases as close as I can for the 5 shot tourney. But for general rat shooting I don't bother being that picky. Looking forward for your target in the mix, this spring.. Skipper is working a new idea on the target and hopefully more will enter and have fun. Bill K
randyman

Post by randyman »

Thanks Bill. I'll check the cases before loading for the 5 shot this year. I had been doubting my shooting techniques when I can get 3 or 4 shots touching and then get that one shot that had me wondering Where in the heck did that come from? I probably won't be that picky for the everyday bulk loading for the rats if I can find a decent place to shoot this year. I also sent that photo to the place where I purchased them to see what they say. If these little 32 grainers are almost 2 grains off it makes me wonder how much the big 200+ grain bullets are off? Hope you're getting a bunch of snow up there to fill the lake! Randy.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Whenever someone tells me that they have fliers like what you described, I advise them to look for the dreaded carbon ring. Wet a patch with Hoppe's Bore Cleaner and push it just past the rifling. Let it sit there for an hour or so then inspect it. If it's turned black you may have a carbon ring built up in your bore just past the chamber and rifling. Time to get out the bore paste and start scrubbing. The only time you should expect fliers is the first couple of shots from a clean bore OR with wind gusts, poor trigger control, etc. Try it!! You might solve a problem that is just going to get worse.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Skipper makes another good point to watch. Of course then foul the barrel before you begin your group shooting.

As for snow, not a lot, we have had maybe 2 1/2 ft total, thus far, but it keeps settling down in between and has not had a lot of moisture, nor any snow pack up on top. The lake was actually down a little this fall and the way it looks, unless we get some good snow and spring rains, it is not going to come up much this spring/summer. But the fall fishing did pick up and was better than last year. Some nice fish in and around 2-4 lbs caught, but no really nice one's like we used to get in the 4-6 lb range. Some day.. I hope. Bill K