Sorting brass by weight

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Sorting brass by weight

Post by randyman »

204 brass.jpg
204 brass.jpg (79.81 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
In one of my previous posts I was asking about the differences in the weights of my lead-free 32 gr. bullets. I have about 300 sorted now and a few hundred more to go but it's time to move on to something else so-Someone had suggested that I also sort my brass by weight also and that's what I was doing this morning while watching it rain outside. As you can see in the photo (everyone loves pictures) I have 100 Norma, deprimed and full length sized brass all sorted out. From left to right they start at 97.0 in the first row all the way to to 98.1 in the right hand row. Each row is 1/10 grain difference. The majority were 97.3 & 97.4. The brass in the back are way different weights either light or heavy. The Hornady brass I had was in the 93 gr. range.
So, I guess my question to you guys is what do you consider acceptable when loading based on brass weight? Is everything within +/- two tenths of a grain OK to load in the same group or what? I'll be putting the sorted bullets in the sorted cases for my loads that I'm working up. I'm sort of starting over with my load developments as I've never sorted the bullets or the brass. I appreciate any advice you have to offer-Thanks, Randy.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Re: Sorting brass by weight

Post by varget204 »

Most think within 1 grain is good to go,less may be better,do not know if anyone has done tests w/2-3 tenths grain difference.Don't think it could hurt any.I have shot good groups w/large 5-10 grain difference in the past;but anymore i try 1 grain or less difference.varget204
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Some shooters sort by internal volume as well. There's a really good article on AccurateShooter.com. Almost everything you would want to know about case preparation. For the reloader with too much time on their hands, for sure. BUT, the 5 Shot Challenge is coming soon. Time to get your competition brass in shape.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... case-prep/
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

Thanks Skipper-I checked out that article and so far the only thing I haven't done is neck turned my brass. It's one of the reloading components high on my wish list and so far I'm leaning towards the 21 century model. Any help is appreciated. R!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Randy: lots of good trimers out there. I bought a new one last year, the Hornady lock and load model. With the adapter I use my small hand drill to turn the ram. It works very well and is a solid, smooth working piece. Check it out along with others. Bill k