Oversized chamber

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Bmash
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15

Oversized chamber

Post by Bmash »

I had an issue with sizing my 204 Ruger brass (actually shaved some metal off the case) so I sent the die and two fired cases to Forster. They called and said they polished the feed on the die but my brass was 6 thousands over size! They stated the rifle may not be safe like this. I plan to call the barrel company on Monday, but meanwhile thoughts on safety and brass life ? I have shot it a good bit with no issues but I bet I won't get many firings from that brass!!
(Reamer drawing shows 0.3769"@0.20" from the head. Fired case measures 0.384"@0.25" from head, so about 0.007" over reamer! Sized case goes back to 0.374.)
This is not a cheap barrel! It is from a major quality company and came already chambered for an AR.. I'll save their name until after I talk with them.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Oversized chamber

Post by Bill K »

Think I would just wait and see what the barrel company says and hopefully a replacement is in order. With the brass being worked that much, from sizing and then firing it will not last too long. I would just hold off shooting it, for now. Bill K :)
Bmash

Post by Bmash »

they are replacing the barrel. They had an oversized reamer and mine is the third one they have found.
So with 0.010" stretch @0.25" from the head, should I reload this brass?
Any speculation on how long it will last and where it will fail?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

You could separate the brass that is oversize/causing the problem and resize it, but wait and see how it fits into the new chamber, before you go loading it up.
If it fits, then reload it and shoot it, but make sure you still keep track of that batch. It probably will give you enough reloads to be worth using, rather than just trash it. Just my thought. Bill K :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

My initial reaction would be to trash the brass because it's not worth your safety to worry about brass serviceability or longevity. Especially since you know it has been overly stretched. How many pieces are you talking about? You could contact the brass manufacturer and get their opinion.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bmash

Post by Bmash »

Maybe 100 pcs. of Norma brass. I will probably not shoot it mostly because I don’t want a piece of brass stuck in the chamber when the head comes of one and the prairie dogs are laughing at me!