COAL For Browning A-Bolt

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
waynewjw
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning A-Bolt Shot Show Special

COAL For Browning A-Bolt

Post by waynewjw »

Just joined up to see what further info. I could find on the Browning 204 and load data. So I have Hornady V-Max 32 gr.; Berger FB Varmint 35 gr.; Sierra BK 39 gr.; and Nosler Spitzer 40 gr. I'm trying to find out if any of you guys out there have this rifle and what finished bullet length have you settled on with the above bullets for the best results.

The Browning seems to have further measurements to reach the lands. SAAMI says 2.260 but I have found with the 32 gr. V-Max I had OAL at 2.302 to achieve 1/2" groups at 50 yards....I know, not that far but was starting out to develop some loads. I loaded the 40 Noslers at 2.261 OAL but have't achieved any results to write home about...all over 1" at 50 yards.

H335 for the 40 Nosler
Benchmark for the 32 V-Max and 35 Berger

Finally got my hands on some 39 BK's, like finding a Unicorn but I finally got my hands on some. Any further info. would be appreciated.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: COAL For Browning A-Bolt

Post by skipper »

Most factory offerings have the lands and grooves out there where you cannot reach with any bullet left in the cartridge neck. That's not to mention that most magazines will not fit rounds that are seated long. I think the predominate philosophy around here is to 1) find a bullet powder combination that works for your rifle and then 2) vary the seating depth to adjust groups even further. Only change one variable at a time so you're not chasing your tail.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

With any factory 204 barrel, reaching the lands is not possible, so don't fret trying. Most of these rifles have a jump to lands right around .100", so there's no use even trying, if you want any bullet remaining in the case neck. As Skipper said, just find a load that is accurate, tweak the seating depth and be done with it.

It still amazes me how some of these rifles shoot with the ridiculous jump, but they do! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

waynewjw

Post by waynewjw »

So is most everyone starting at SAAMI length 2.260? I understand working with one variable and agree on that thought. I've got numerous powders and with research determined what are the most commonly recommended for best accuracy so will start with those and develop from there.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Alliant RL-10X, Benchmark, Varget, and many other powders seem to do well. Your rifle will tell you when you hit the right combination.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Forgot to say to check the Competition Forum to see what BillK did this year. He shot the best group ever to win the annual 5 Shot Challenge.
COhntr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint Tikka T3/Lilja

Post by COhntr »

I have an x-bolt and it shoots lights out at the saami length with benchmark and 32 gr v-maxes. I have tried to reach the lands but too no avail and since it shoots so good at that length, why bother. Should also say that this load works great in remington, winchester, and gfi aka fiocchi brass and lit with a rem 7 1/2 primer. Good luck
waynewjw

Post by waynewjw »

From the feedback and internet research it seems that the Brownings like all the various gr. bullets and a number of powders. As I've got 32,35,39 and 40 gr. bullets I figure I'm loading 80+ rounds to get some solid accuracy data for my rifle.