Suggested load tikka t3x 32 vmax or 39sbk ar2206h

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
mattheal1984
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Suggested load tikka t3x 32 vmax or 39sbk ar2206h

Post by mattheal1984 »

Hi all,

I am just about to buy a tikka t3x light in .204. This is my first .204. Just wondering if anyone has this rifle and has pet loads using either 32gr vmax or 39gr sierra blitzking. I have a full keg of ar2206h left over from the .223 I sold, so would like to stick to this if possible. I would also like to know your suggested coal for these loads.

Thanks in advance.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Suggested load tikka t3x 32 vmax or 39sbk ar2206h

Post by Bill K »

I can tell you my best load in my 204 Ruger is the 32 grain Nosler lead free tipped, over CFE 223. As for a pet load for your rifle with the powder you have, you are going to have to check out a few loading manuals or obtain start and max loads from that maker and work up a couple loads for those bullets in your rifle. What is a good load in my rifle just might not work or be safe in yours, if it is near a max load level. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Matt, you may want to try "book loads" to start, meaning pick a starting load out of your loading manual with the intended powder, use the factory COAL and go from there, tweaking both the load charge weight and the COAL, but both tested separately to avoid unintended changes.

No one can give you a load for your rifle. If you've been handloading for any length of time, you already know that, so start low and work up like everyone else. Somewhere in those tests, lie your "pet load". You just have to do the work to find it. Check out the load info on this forum at the top of the home page also. Your load just may be there waiting for you to discover it. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I had a Tikka T3 Hunter for a while but the barrel heated up too quickly for it to be part of the sage rat arsenal. But, while I had it my favorite load was the same as Bill K.-CFE223 and 32 gr. tipped bullets. I kept increasing the powder charge in minimal increments trying to find the sweet spot but found my rifle actually liked a charge on the lower end of the published min-max load data. I couldn't play with COAL very much because of the magazine length and the chamber was way too long to try to seat bullets at or near the lands. Good luck and let us know how things turn out. Randy.