Resized fired cases don't fit back into my 204's

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Ranger3
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington sps

Resized fired cases don't fit back into my 204's

Post by Ranger3 »

I have two 204's, a 700 Rem and a 16 Savage. Just fired 125 rounds in the 700. Resized them and most do not fit in the 700 or the Savage. I'm tempted to think it's the die. I have measured them and other than some of them are over length. This brass was all new on this firing. Should I try another die?
Ranger3

Re: Resized fired cases don't fit back into my 204's

Post by Ranger3 »

Anybody else who has ever had this problem
Ranger3

Post by Ranger3 »

Anybody else who has ever had this problem
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I routinely neck size only and my finished cartridges always fit back into the rifle that fired them. Something funny is going on with your reloads. I would take measurements of the expander ball first off.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I mostly only neck size brass fired in the rifle, being used. I FL size when they show signs of becoming tight on bolt closing. Make sure you are not over length and if so trim to the length shown in your reloading book for that cartridge.
And make sure your dies are adjusted correctly in your press.
Ranger3

Post by Ranger3 »

I have neck sized before as well. The Redding tech thinks it's the shell holder not allowing it to resize to headspace the brass. I will measure the expander ball and seek what I find.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

What part of the casing will not fit your chamber? Is it the neck, the shoulder or the base of the brass?

Each one of these potential issues has it's own fix, so without knowing where the obstruction lies, it's hard to tell you how to proceed. Maybe use some die-chem to see where the issue lies, or even a non-permanent marker, candle soot, etc.

But as has been mentioned, any neck sized case should go right back into the chamber it was fired in. A F/L sized case too, but most of us only neck size to save the brass from overworking it. I don't think I've ever F/L sized a 204 case, and I started shooting this caliber when it first came out in 2006. I've got a new, unused Redding F/L bushing die sitting in it's box in my gun room....just in case anyone thinks they must have one.

Check out where the problem lies, and we'll try to get you up 'n running again. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

One of the best tools you can buy is a cartridge case gauge. It points out;
- if the case is to long or short;
- if the case is under or over sized.

If you're going to use these cases in multiple rifles I'd suggest F/L sizing when switching, otherwise I'd stick to neck sizing. FWIW, when I set up F/L dies by the supplied instructions more often than not my brass is undersized and will-not chamber.

What Rick suggested should yield the problem area.

Good luck,
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The issue seems to be either the neck or base, as some have posted. You either need to adjust your die/shell holder properly or obtain a small base FL sizing die. Bill K :)
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

If you can...Mill off ten thousandths off the top of your shell holder. See if that fixes it. Many years ago, I had a bum shell holder and had this problem.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

My guess is it's the case shoulder not being bumped back enough. Had that trouble with the .20 VT brass I made from .223 brass. Even though my sizer die was set up right, I was getting a little spring-back on some of the brass. I had to run each piece of brass through the rifle to see if it would chamber before adding powder & bullets. Those that didn't chamber were run back through the die for a bit more shoulder space. Good luck-lots of advice here and any of could be your solution so let us know what you find. Randy.
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

If he was starting with once fired 204 brass, it is unlikely due to forming issues.

If these were fired from his rifle, it has to be in the resizing.

I have a pre 64 Win. Model 70 (270 Winchester) that will fire just about anything. I have a Ruger #1 in 270 that I have to keep rounds separate for. I can neck size for my M70, but always have to full size for my #1...even rounds fired through that #1.

I have a #1 in 25-06 that the chamber is much more forgiving.

You might also invest in a head space gauge and make sure there are no issues in your rifles. Honestly, I have only run into a problem there a couple of times in 40+ years. It is the last thing I chec.