Load Development - Pictures Attached

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
nrowles
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 25 LIGHTWEIGHT VARMINTER-T

Load Development - Pictures Attached

Post by nrowles »

Ok so here's my first go with reloads. I know you guys are probably going to say this takes time and money but out of the 4 different handloads I'd like to drop 2. The factory ones I'm already planning on dropping but included here for the heck of it. This round was all 3031 powder. I also have CFE223 that I am going to make 4 different loads tomorrow. In the pictures below the 3 high shots with factory ammo were the very first shot after cleaning barrel so I'm writing them off since it is consistently putting them high. In my opinion, I should keep the higher powder charge for each reloaded bullet. They were 4 shots of each. This can be somewhat frustrating because if you take the worst shot (which could have been me to some extent but I was on a very steady bench) out of each grouping they are all really good at 1/2" or less. What do you guys think?

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Load Development - Pictures Attached

Post by skipper »

You didn't say but did you incrementally increase each charge by .2 grains? That would make it easier to find the nodes that your rifle likes. The top right hand target shows promise. It doesn't say what the charge weight is though. When you find the right charge weight, then try again by varying the seating depth. Just change one variable at a time though. Our last 5 shot contest was called Five Under a Dime. Most 204 Rugers can put five shots under a dime anyhow.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
nrowles
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 25 LIGHTWEIGHT VARMINTER-T

Post by nrowles »

The specs of each is written in upper left corner of each target. The top picture is factory load. Basically for each bullet i went slightly up from starting charge and slightly below.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

A typical ladder test would involve starting at the minimum load for the bullet, case, primer, and powder you're testing. Then load five shots with the same charge AND increase the charge by .2 grain until you reach the maximum published load for that particular combination. Five of each charge weight. Then, try to pick optimum conditions for conducting the test and then fire each charge weight for group size and continue until you reach the maximum load. IMPORTANT: Use a new target each charge weight throughout the test.

At this point I want to try to emphasize the need to maintain each and every shooting etiquette possible. Sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, and trigger control are extremely difficult to achieve, let alone maintain.

Then evaluate the results in terms of group size, making considerations for shooting inadequacies, and identify promising groups. You may find multiple nodes that group well, Node - same size group different charge weights. Defer to the higher charge weight and velocity.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em