Federal 205 Primers Safe to Use?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
psdan000
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Federal 205 Primers Safe to Use?

Post by psdan000 »

Hi, new .204 loader here. With the limited availability of components these days, I have access to only Federal 205 and CCI 400 primers at the moment. I've read that the CCI 400 cannot handle the higher pressures of the .204. The Federal 205's have slightly more cup thickness and I was wondering if they would be safe to use? I will be using H322 powder and 40 grain v-max bullets. Thanks for your help!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Federal 205 Primers Safe to Use?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Both are completely safe and appropriate to use in the 204. If you look at the loads at the top of the main page, you'll see both of those primers used in many of the pet loads. Consult your loading manual, both brands plus others appear in them all.

BTW, the Federal 205M has given me some of my very best groups in the 204 and 223.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

Just start with a low/suggested starting powder charge with those primers, then start increasing the powder charge and inspect the primers for any issues. Google ladder test and you'll see how to find the right powder charge weight for your rifle in fewer shots fired. If you have difficulty in opening the bolt after firing a round, don't fire anymore, stop and determine what is wrong.
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

They, as others had said, will work just fine. And, also as mentioned, anytime you change something in a load, always drop down a few grains and work back up and watch for pressure signs. Safe and Sane is always best in reloading. Plus accuracy trumps FPS. :D