Savage Model 25 Loads

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Huskerguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Varminter

Savage Model 25 Loads

Post by Huskerguy »

I recently picked up a NIB Savage Model 25 Varminter in 204. I have loaded tons of 223 but the 204 is a new one for me. I did see the sticky on the favorite combination of powder and bullets but didn't see any with my model. With the cost of bullets these days, the closer I can get to the right combination, the better. So if anyone has this same model, what works for you? Thanks in advance

Savage Model 25 Varminter-T https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=fi ... ry&s=18529
1/12 Twist

I still have to put a scope on it as well. It will be primarily used to hunt prairie dogs.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Savage Model 25 Loads

Post by skipper »

Every rifle is different. You probably won't find a single formula that works perfectly for every Savage Model 25 ever made. I feel very confident that you are going to have to find a powder, primer, case, and bullet combination that are readily available to you and perform some sort of ladder testing. If your rifle is a 1:12 twist, stick to 39 gr. or lighter bullet and a powder that lets you fill the case without having to compress the load and start there.

Some favorites on this site are RL-10X, H4895, Benchmark, etc. 35 gr. Bergers provide great accuracy and seem to be fur friendly as reported by some of our coyote hunters. Winchester brass seems to be many members favorite after prepping and fire forming. Your mileage may vary. Have fun finding the right combination that makes that Savage shine.

Personally, 25.1 gr of Aliant Reloader 10X, 35 gr. Berger, CCI BR 4 primer, and fully prepped Winchester or Norma brass does the trick on several of my rifles. Forget reaching the lands because manufacturers have cut them way way far out there, but most 204 Rugers don't mind the jump. Just seat for magazine length or start with at least one diameters worth of bullet in the case. Once you find the right bullet powder combination you can start varying the seated length for even more accuracy.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em