reloading for Browning Predator Hunter

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
FoxFlopper
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning Predator Hunter

Re: reloading for Browning Predator Hunter

Post by FoxFlopper »

I've shot 39gn and 40gn pills.
Both seem to like the fps of 3530 for best SD.

Shot some seating depth tests at 100 yards and was a bit horrified at the results. Shot prone... previously was resting on bonnet with bipod n bags. Felt less stable in prone position..wasn't expecting that.

Still got a half inch group at 97 yards though...which finalised my 40gn Berger load.
28.4gn varget
Worked Hornady brass
Rem 7.5 primers
3544 av fps
SD 21
0.125 jump

Then shot shot velocity test for 39gn Speer.
28.0 won. The first group, 4 shots, cold clean barrel.
SD 8. My best yet.
Norma
Varget
Cci450
Speer 39gn tnt
Attachments
IMG-20210927-WA0032.jpeg
IMG-20210927-WA0032.jpeg (963.75 KiB) Viewed 8855 times
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

In the spirit of load development...just ordered 32gn pills...which is where I probably should've started for a fast flat fox round...I guess..

Might try jump testing first?
Not sure...took 44 shots for the 40gn Berger development..
Any thoughts on what speed might be best for 22 inch barrel shooting 32gn with varget?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Stop chasing FPS, remember a accurate load, placed in the proper spot, trumps FPS, every time. Work a ladder test and find a couple of the most accurate loads in YOUR rifle. Then if you want you can check what the FPS is for it. :)
jwsmith1959
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MK II Hawkeye Predator

Post by jwsmith1959 »

Bill K wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:08 am Stop chasing FPS, remember a accurate load, placed in the proper spot, trumps FPS, every time. Work a ladder test and find a couple of the most accurate loads in YOUR rifle. Then if you want you can check what the FPS is for it. :)
As Bill K noted, chasing FPS will only get you into trouble. My Dad (RIP 1973), had velocity sickness which always kept him from finding the best and most accurate loads for his rifles. It wasn't until I stayed away from his "book" loads that I found some really great accuracy. I always start near the bottom and work my way up.

You will find that "node" eventually.

Good luck and all the best.
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

I was looking for low es...SD etc..the node...
I could have loaded up even more...no pressure signs..but chose the lowest es, SD etc., With the 39, 40gn pills..it was around 3520fps, where both 39, 40gn pills gave most consistent fps.

Having said that..I did buy some ar2219 today for 32gn pills..
Velocity sickness..I'm usually happy with something a little mild., (Rem 17, 25gn @3860),

But do hope to get the 32gn scooting a bit for flatter trajectory etc. But also wary of barrel ware if too fast..
But...tiny groups is my aim...not... maximum fps..not hoping for high speed misses!

Ar2219 may be equivalent to 10x, ,h322
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Interesting enough read. I have a custom build that I can push to 4300 fps using Benchmark and that node groups like a dream. It's a single shot without and an ejector type of Franken-204. But if you're hooked on speed, it is possible with the 204 Ruger. I just happened into it by accident while doing initial load development. The red mist lives on.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

I'm hoping for accuracy..and some good trajectory for foxing...hoping for some flatter shooting...I'm not hellbent on speed..was just working up a load..or two...
I don't imaging I'll end up at 4300fps with 32gn. I generally like a slightly moderate load..

2208, varget will be staying with the 40gn, 39gn pills.

But thought the 32gn could do with something a little zipper...to do the potential of the cartridge and it's purpose some justice ..so got some ar2219.

Ideally, I probably should've started with 32gn pills...

I'm not familiar with the rifle that you speak of.
If I was richer I'd probably find the max pressure fastest node load...darn the barrel wear...😉..with any luck it would account for many longer range foxes on its way out...
Thanks for response ..
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

I held back on larger charges than I tested...even though no pressure signs...
Its been interesting.
I'm happy not to test each load with a single shot..as I'm not confident a single shot will give true inducation..low es and SD usually evade me, despite some effort in reloading.

I wonder about limited returns...from doing more load development...my first groups at 27gn and 28gn were neat enough ..but, you don't know till you try...

I'd be happy to see the Franken 204 groups...!

Thanks .
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

...discovered what a Franken gun is ..
K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

I try to get both good accuracy and great velocity. Most of the time I can, but not always. Accuracy always wins the day.
I have yet to shoot any 32gr. bullets in my 204, but I have shot 34's, 35's, and 37's.
I'm impressed with the 34's, especially since they are Nosler seconds that Midsouth Shooters Supply sells. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... lk-bullets
I'm not pushing any of these 3 bullets all that hard. The 34's are running in the mid 3800fps, the 35's mid 3900's, and the 37's at mid 3800.
The rifle is a Kimber Montana in factory 204. I am putting together another "Montana" in 204 with a Lija 11T in their Kimber contour finished at 22" mirroring the Factory 204 Kimber barrel. Below is the Factory rifle.

I couldn't find my 34gr. targets :chin:
I'm using a VX3 2.5-8X36 (Leupold) on the rifle which I like better than the Nikon 2-8X32 that is on it in the photo.
This is a great walk around rifle, light (6lbs. 4oz. fully ready to go), balances very well, and is capable of better accuracy than I can shoot.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Franken-204: The sum of various parts assembled together by dubious means.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

skipper wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 am Franken-204: The sum of various parts assembled together by dubious means.
Could or would that maybe the same as a poor man's custom rifle ? :D
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I'm impressed with the 34's, especially since they are Nosler seconds that Midsouth Shooters Supply sells.

Are you actually buying Nosler second's in those, or are they the Varmint nightmare, Midsouth sells ( MidwayUSA also has them, but calls them Dogtown) and they are the old Nosler cup and core 34 grain bullet, that they mainly came out with for commercial shooters in Aus/NZ, so I have been told by Nosler.
They are a really fine and surprising bullet, as for accuracy and work on critters, many folks overlook. They also have them in 17 and 224 caliber, in other weights. :)
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

It was interesting to see the difference between 27.8, 27.9 and 28gn as shown in k22s targets.
I've been pondering the case size and the different effect small changes might make ..seems very small changes.0.1gn can make all the difference..from those pictures...
I wonder if same "velocity nodes" might work for different weight bullets...I'm dubious
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

Seating depth test, 39gn Speer TNT, Norma case, 28.0gn 2208.

Not as stable as I'd hope...scope dancing bout quarter moa I felt...

None the less...here's the pic.
Knew I'd thrown some shots...was happy with others.

Load complete now...2.042 seating depth..

32gn next..
Attachments
IMG-20211002-WA0052.jpeg
IMG-20211002-WA0052.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 8761 times