reloading for Browning Predator Hunter

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
FoxFlopper
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning Predator Hunter

reloading for Browning Predator Hunter

Post by FoxFlopper »

[img
First 3 shots..cold clean barrel. 65 yards, 3250fps 40gn Berger. 27gn 2208
First 3 shots..cold clean barrel. 65 yards, 3250fps 40gn Berger. 27gn 2208
IMG20210918164959.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 8628 times
[/img]The Browning Predator Hunter has a 22 inch barrel and 12 twist.

I'll be using some Hornady brass, but mostly Norma brass. The Norma brass (my first bag, more coming) seems very consistent in weight, neck wall thickness, length and headspace measurements. And no flash hole burs. The Hornady brass, once fired took some deburring and light "half" neck turn.

Varget, 2208, will be the powder currently as it's what I've got for the 17rem and 222 and 270. Will consider 2206H if can't get performance, ie grouping.

Pills so far, 40gn Berger as 35gn Berger were out of stock.
Also got some TNT 39gn. They seem very consistent with their weight. And cheaper..but...have they been discontinued?

I've discovered the long throat which I've since read is common for factory 204s. So I'll seat out as far as mag will allow and seat deeper to test after I settle on a powder charge.

Are there any length trimming tools for 204 like the Lee case gauge? They don't seem to make them for 204 or 17rem. I find them handy for the odd long case.

The 204 I chose primarily for fox destruction over longer ranges. The 17rem is for saving pelts. A load that was emphatic on foxes with minimal pelt damage would be ideal..but..not essential as I'd like to minimise run offs.

Might be looking at 32gn VMAX at a later point.

Happy to hear suggestions and other comments.

Also the Browning Predator Hunter comes with a muzzle brake..I've never used one before. Lighter recoil, more noise seems the result. Tempting to use the thread for a tuner..maybe...I do like accuracy....but...perhaps going too far?..
FoxFlopper

Re: reloading for Browning Predator Hunter

Post by FoxFlopper »

First fox, with test load...40gn Berger
First fox, with test load...40gn Berger
IMG_20210919_011946_01.jpg (613.41 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I've always had good, repeatable luck with the Sinclair/Wilson case trimmer. It uses individual case holders for each caliber you want to trim. I'm not sure what their shipping policy is but it would be worth checking into. You can get a look on the Sinclair International website for details. There are others but the Wilson I bought years ago hasn't let me down yet.
WilsonCaseTrimmer.jpg
WilsonCaseTrimmer.jpg (17.55 KiB) Viewed 8616 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

It is reputed very highly..I became aware of it after I went down the Forster road. I'm hoping for something fast and convenient for the odd case that's lenghtened..like the Lee trim with case gauge pin or mandrel. I'm not wrapped about setting Forster up to trim just one or two cases.
Thanks for suggesting though!
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

Did a little more velocity testing..
Attachments
28.4 had ES of 30,. 28.6 looked nice, but much higher es
28.4 had ES of 30,. 28.6 looked nice, but much higher es
IMG-20210922-WA0016.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 8600 times
First shots of Speer 39gn tnt
First shots of Speer 39gn tnt
IMG-20210922-WA0021.jpeg (872.52 KiB) Viewed 8600 times
K22
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber

Post by K22 »

Nice shooting. Looks like the Browning Predator Hunter shoots quite well. What primer are you using or did you list it and I missed it. Lyman makes a trimmer similar to Lee's that does 17's and 204's. https://www.lymanproducts.com/e-zee-tri ... ing-system
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I use the Hornady trimmer, with the attachment that allows me to turn the cutter with a cordless drill.
For pilots too trim 17 & 20 caliber, I cut down a couple short pieces of welding rod, that fit the case mouth. the cutter comes with pilot for .224 and larger pilots. Have not checked in the last couple years, but maybe Hornady now has pilots for the smaller cases. :)
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

Just discovered Lyman easy trim today...204 pilot available...bit pricey...

I started with rem 7.5 primers, then discovered they weren't available...was running out...so swapped to cci450....but today found some rem 7.5...last box of 1000.
There were new boxes with letters LA on them. Apparently made at new place... Arkansas?

Looks like browning predator hunter will shoot.
Looks like I'll load

40gn Berger with Hornady brass, rem 7.5
39gn Speer TNT, Norma brass, cci450...if CCI 450 suits rifle.

Shot speed test with thermal scope...66yards
Might move to glass scope for depth testing...100 yards...

Thanks for your posts..
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

Bill K wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:33 am I use the Hornady trimmer, with the attachment that allows me to turn the cutter with a cordless drill.
For pilots too trim 17 & 20 caliber, I cut down a couple short pieces of welding rod, that fit the case mouth. the cutter comes with pilot for .224 and larger pilots. Have not checked in the last couple years, but maybe Hornady now has pilots for the smaller cases. :)
I just wish lee covered 17 and 204 for hand held case gauge...
Ill look into Hornady approach.
No rush yet, cases still well short.
I looked at a Sinclair product? That seems discontinued, that worked like a Hornady seating depth gauge, to measure the actual lenght of neck of chamber...(so much fiddly enthusiasm😉)...guess I'll soon find out how quickly cases grow...
Would've been nice to know the actual lenght of neck in the chamber...but...not essential...
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

[
Would've been nice to know the actual lenght of neck in the chamber...but...not essential...
[/quote]

Run a chamber cast and you will have a very good idea/measurement. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:23 am Run a chamber cast and you will have a very good idea/measurement. :)
Or you could go the easy route and just get a set of the Sinclair Chamber Gauges. They will let you know the amount of neck protruding into the chamber.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

It's kinda like the manufacturers don't want us to be able to get anywhere near the lands. Throat's out there and brass is way too short. Get a barrel cut with your own chamber reamer custom made to your specifications by Pacific Tool & Gauge.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 pm It's kinda like the manufacturers don't want us to be able to get anywhere near the lands. Throat's out there and brass is way too short. Get a barrel cut with your own chamber reamer custom made to your specifications by Pacific Tool & Gauge.
Excellent advice!

I went that route and had a Match chamber reamer done by PTG. Minimal freebore, can easily reach the lands with all bullets I shoot, all dimensions tightened up just a bit so that factory brass is still easy to chamber, and the 11 twist rifle shoots in the 'ones' and low 'two's. Best mod you can do with a 204, would not change a thing.

On the bench during a great rat shoot, she's good to 600 on PD's and GS's, and now has the ability to properly stabilize the 40gr bullets:

The only downside to going this route, is you can no longer safely shoot factory ammunition in that rifle. No big deal for me, as I've never shot factory ammo anyway, but it may be an issue for some.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

I'll be interested for a custom barrel...shorter throat...when the time comes.
600 yards sounds so far for me n my experience!
FoxFlopper

Post by FoxFlopper »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:43 am
Bill K wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:23 am Run a chamber cast and you will have a very good idea/measurement. :)
Or you could go the easy route and just get a set of the Sinclair Chamber Gauges. They will let you know the amount of neck protruding into the chamber.
Can't seem to get Sinclair Chamber Gauges in Australia
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-09-28-17-56-55-38_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
Screenshot_2021-09-28-17-56-55-38_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg (218.67 KiB) Viewed 8517 times