Neck sizing VS full length sizing

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
FoxFlopper
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning Predator Hunter

Re: Neck sizing VS full length sizing

Post by FoxFlopper »

Neck size with Lee collet.
Never tried bushing die...seems expensive and seems to size the case to the outer dimension of bushing, relying on consistent neck thickness.

I'm no expert..but, I prefer to have my inner mouth perfectly round on the mandrel, and leave neck wall thickness difference on the outer.

This is probably splitting hairs though.

I love the idea of preserving fire formed case dimensions and not working the brass much

Also ..love the no lube requirement of Lee collet.

Redding body die used to bump shoulder if required.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

can you or anyone tell me what bushings they use for 35 gr berger bullets? Using hornady brass...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

It's not critical if you're using a factory barrel. And it doesn't matter what bullet you're using, as they all will be .204".

The bullet is .204", measure your average neck thickness which will run around .012"~ on average. so .204" + .012" x 2 gives you the average neck O.D. with a loaded bullet.

Without knowing your chamber neck dimension, you're in the dark, but it will run on most factory barrels to be .234/.236". Do the math and that will tell you which bushing to use. The only way to know your chamber neck dimension is either contact the maker, OR do a chamber cast to make sure you get it right.

You also want adequate neck clearance for bullet release and safety. I use a .226" bushing in most of my .20 cal rifles, even in ones with my own chamber dimensions. This usually gives .001" "per side" clearance in my chambers and is considered a safe margin. Factory barrels usually are much more sloppy though in this regard.

If you lay in three different bushings of say, .225", .226" and .227", you should be about right for most brass you'll encounter unless you start neck turning, which is mostly a waste of time in a factory barrel. My custom 204 Ruger Match chamber is snug, and although neck turning is not really necessary for this chamber, if the brass shows more deviation than .002" in neck thickness, neck turning is almost mandatory for the absolute best accuracy. Then the bushing die really comes into it's own. My loaded rounds mic .228" at the neck. Using a .226" bushing gives that .001" per side clearance for safety/bullet release.

If you plan to start using bushing dies, do yourself a favor and read all you can to fully understand what the process really involves. Sinclair International used to publish a manual that covered all this and many other aspects of precision handloading, pity though that now it's out of print. I refer to mine often, as it's the best source of "real" information on the subject of precision rifle reloading. I've called them many times about the next installment. They used to tell me "soon", but now they don't know if they'll ever get the update out....ever. So read up on this to fully understand what you're doing before you start spending money.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick that was a great post. And it makes me stop and think...do I really need that level of control in a hunting rifle that is shooting decent to start with.

I have been watching videos and trying to learn all I can.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:57 pm Rick that was a great post. And it makes me stop and think...do I really need that level of control in a hunting rifle that is shooting decent to start with.
Short answer: Probably no.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

FoxFlopper wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:01 pm
I'm no expert..but, I prefer to have my inner mouth perfectly round on the mandrel, and leave neck wall thickness difference on the outer.
If I'm not mistaken, when sizing cases and using the expander ball;
- On the up stroke, the neck passes by the the expander ball untouched and the die/neck bushing pushes any neck imperfections to the inside of the neck.
- On the subsquent down stroke, as the expander ball passes back through the [sized] neck, the expander ball pushes the neck imperfections back to the outside of the neck leaving the inside of the neck as perfectly round as the expander ball atually is.

Thats my understanding.
FoxFlopper
.204 Ruger Guns: Browning Predator Hunter

Post by FoxFlopper »

Yes.
Expanded ball (from full kenggt size) would form on inside of neck. I think...
I was referring to the bushing approach...which seems to size the outside of neck
I avoid the full length approach as over works brass..requires lube, I think, and not sure about runout, concentrity etc.

Thus I prefer Lee Collet Die....so far..

Expander mandrel approach seems interesting, but, not going to re tool up for that...
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Is not the Lee collet die, just another type or version of a bushing die ? Both size the neck only to the diameter you want. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

There are some good videos on youtube showing how the lee die works. It appears to eliminate runout.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Just for record, I have both bushing dies and a couple lee collet dies. I really prefer the bushing die for consistent reloads and grouping. But that is just my opinion, from reloading for over 65 years. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:46 am Just for record, I have both bushing dies and a couple lee collet dies. I really prefer the bushing die for consistent reloads and grouping. But that is just my opinion, from reloading for over 65 years. :D
Experience counts

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:46 am I really prefer the bushing die for consistent reloads and grouping. But that is just my opinion, from reloading for over 65 years. :D
+ One on that Bill, but I've only been at it for 55 years. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I am wet behind the ears. Only done it for 22 years.

John Maynard Keynes