Neck sizing VS full length sizing

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Neck sizing VS full length sizing

Post by Tom Kat »

Here we go again!

Which way do you prefer and why?

When I bought my gun it came with an RCBS FLS die and a neck sizing die. Additionally, it came with 2
Redding dies.

So far I have been loading brand new brass. But the day is coming....
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: Neck sizing VS full length sizing

Post by Jim White »

For bolt guns I prefer neck sizing.
For gas guns I prefer F/L sizing but I don't over do it. To much sizing can create a headspace issue and cause more wear & tear on the brass.

HTH,
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

In a bolt gun, there's really no reason to FL size the brass. It will fit into the chamber with no problem, so why work the brass with a FL die? Once fired brass only needs neck sizing, preferably with a bushing die to control the bullet tension. New brass in the bag or box only needs neck sizing too, as it will just plop into the chamber without any sizing at all, so again, why work the brass with a FL die? You only need enough neck tension to hold the bullet.

Gas or autoloaders are an entirely different animal. Small base dies, full length sizing are your friends if you have a brass belcher.

I have a Redding 204 FL die on my shelf that I purchased back in 2006 when I was just getting into the caliber. It's never been out of the box. Does that tell you anything?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

It makes me feel better. I am doing everything you say in your post Rick. It sort of kills me to see those 2 expensive Redding dies sitting new in the box. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

For my varmint rigs I neck size but I do have either a F/L bushing die or a shoulder bump die in case I ever need to bump the shoulder back a tad. The symptom of that would be hard chambering.

To date, I've never had to use either and like you Tom, I hate seeing those Redding dies just sitting there but they're cheaper than the use to be and besides, unlike kids & buttermilk, they won't go bad, eat my food,use my TY/P or fill up my septic tank ;) .
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Jim White wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:57 pm For my varmint rigs I neck size but I do have either a F/L bushing die or a shoulder bump die in case I ever need to bump the shoulder back a tad. The symptom of that would be hard chambering.

To date, I've never had to use either and like you Tom, I hate seeing those Redding dies just sitting there but they're cheaper than the use to be and besides, unlike kids & buttermilk, they won't go bad, eat my food,use my TY/P or fill up my septic tank ;) .
JIm I dont know you, but this post made me smile. Thanks for that!

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

We forgot one little item....the Body Die.

I use mine when I don't want to mess with the neck of the brass, but just bump the shoulder for easier chambering. The body die lets you bump the shoulder without touching the neck at all. There's no working of the brass at all, just a shoulder bump when needed.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

This is what I have.
20211008_123004.jpg
20211008_123004.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 9457 times
20211008_123024.jpg
20211008_123024.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 9457 times
20211008_123040.jpg
20211008_123040.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 9457 times
20211008_123115.jpg
20211008_123115.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 9457 times

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

And none of them have a bushing in them, that I could see.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

None of those are a bushing die. You could buy a bushing die and then obtain the proper bushings and you should be fully set to go.
You have the body die, for using after you have prepped the brass ( as Rick mentioned, work just the shoulder, when needed.
You should have no issues then, after setting the dies up for the brass fitting your chamber, after you have fire formed them too it. :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TK, as you're shooting a factory barrel, you're all set with what you have right now for brass that has been shot in your rifle. However, a bushing neck die lets you control virtually everything in regard to neck I.D., bullet tension, neck clearance in the barrel (no concern with factory barrel), and how long the brass will last being neck sized only. F/L sizing will really wear on your brass over time......ask me how I found that out long ago.

As long as bullet tension is not an issue, you're good to go with what you have. BUT if bullets are falling into a sized case, time for annealing and a bushing neck die if you want to continue to use that brass.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Bill K wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:11 am None of those are a bushing die. You could buy a bushing die and then obtain the proper bushings and you should be fully set to go.
You have the body die, for using after you have prepped the brass ( as Rick mentioned, work just the shoulder, when needed.
You should have no issues then, after setting the dies up for the brass fitting your chamber, after you have fire formed them too it. :)
I appreciate all your and Ricks help. I hope to NOT full length size any .204 brass if I can help it. They are as rare as hens teeth...

I have been using brand new brass that came with the gun so far. as mentioned I hate having stuff sitting around. Would I be wise to keep both sets of dies? Maybe sell off the RCBS and but that above mentioned bushing die?

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The way things are now, unless you need to sell the FL die, I would keep it and others right now. Maybe down the road. But surely try and obtain a bushing die to use, as mentioned. This is just one of those things that is your call. :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Agree with Bill above. Unless money is tight, keep it for now. All "this stuff" may be very dear in the not too distant future.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Tom Kat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:24 am JIm I dont know you, but this post made me smile. Thanks for that!
I don't post here as often as I should, work keeps me pretty busy. I realize your post is about sizing the brass but the other part of the equation is seating the bullet. There are many options but I like those Redding Competition Seating Dies although I have a Bonanza National Match Seating die that works just as good.

The Redding Die is on the spendy side but mine have never failed me. Just thought I'd toss that out there.