Primer Cup Thickness vs Pressure

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Primer Cup Thickness vs Pressure

Post by skipper »

It has come to my attention that there are an awful lot of newer members nowadays. I decided to repost this article about primer cup thickness in the interest of safety. I first noticed it shared on this site back in 2008. Good article for reference. BTW - not my doing, just reposting. Reload SAFELY!!

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Primer Cup Thickness vs Pressure

Post by Bill K »

Good idea Skipper, with all the new one's coming into reloading. I also saved James information, back from a few years, when he came out with that information. It can be useful. :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

With my custom rifle build I have clocked my pet load of 35 gr. Bergers at 4300 FPS. The bullets are jammed into the lands by 0.010 making them right on the edge of safety. Couldn't have done it without the help of this board. I might well have ended up in the hospital. Play safe.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I have been handloading for over 20 years. I have never had an accident or problem of any kind. But I urge everyone who is loading their own to use caution. Primers can be dangerous, be careful. Do not exceed the manufacturers top listed load data. When in doubt, err on the side of caution.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I really got into handloading in 1968 when I returned to The World. And even now after over 55 years and loading for over 30 calibers, rifle, pistol, revolver and shotgun, I still refer to the factory manuals when starting with a new caliber. Why take a chance with something like 50,000+ psi of pressure inches from your face and hands? :eek:

I also consider primer cup thickness for high intensity rounds like the 204R, and low intensity rounds such as the K-Hornet. There is no "one size fits all" here. If we pay attention, we keep all our fingers, and get to see out of both eyes. It's simple really, but one must pay attention if you want accuracy, and all your body parts intact too.

My loading bench recently. Out of sight is my library of loading manuals, one for every bullet and powder supplier, but trust me, they're there alright, ready for instant reference.

Having many loading manuals is good, but the fact remains one must actually read them! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick you bring up a good point. How many manuals do all of you have? I have 10 presently.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

If you count the various reloading manuals, even some of the old Wildcat Cartridge books Wolfe Pub put out in the 60's, plus may company manuals i.e. Speer, Hornady, etc, Kindler and the Hornady annual reloading manual/magazine, I have over 20 that I check pretty darn regularly. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:25 amIf you count the various reloading manuals, even some of the old Wildcat Cartridge books Wolfe Pub put out in the 60's, plus may company manuals i.e. Speer, Hornady, etc, Kindler and the Hornady annual reloading manual/magazine, I have over 20 that I check pretty darn regularly. :D
Well Bill, didn't actually count, but it's like your stash, over 20, most likely more, as I like you, have many from the late 60's and early 70's, plus the annual manuals that the powder makers publish also. As you mentioned, Wolfe Publishing had good load info in Handloader and Rifle Magazines too. If I really had time to dig them all out and count them, I'm sure it would be something like 40 or 50 reference sources.

Maybe this is one reason my gun room is so crowded, that it seems like the walls are closing in! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am sure i have more also RIck. I did not count the load info in my Handloader/Rifle magazines and a few other publications. Old timers like us seem to have a whole shelf/cabinet full of load data, plus with our PC's access to many more on the data sites, like Hornady Load Data, etc. etc.
And they are all useful and I enjoy them, as you and others do also. :D

I even have a couple load manuals that date back into the 40's ( Old Western/Winchester/Dupont) and I believe the first hard copy Speer but out in and around the early 50's.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Is it just me that wonders where everyone are ? It seems to me that here, over the last few weeks/months, only four us are posting.
Skipper, Tom, Rick and myself. Come on folks there has to be more hanging on. :D