.204 expander question

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
WylieC
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator .204

.204 expander question

Post by WylieC »

I saw this topic mentioned somewhere on this site but unable to find it again.

Is there an expander die available for the .204 caliber?
I need one, or something, to make life easier when loading flat based boolits. Thanks
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: .204 expander question

Post by Bill K »

What I do and it makes for easy flat base bullet seating, is be sure a chamfer the mouth, first outside and then the inside. Then just guide the bullet into the sizing die slowly and seat it into the case mouth. :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

For seating flat-based bullets without deck deforming, I quit using the entry level deburring tools that have a 45* cutting angle, much preferring the VLD type tool instead. It features a 60* cutting angle to better guide the bullet base into the neck.

VLD=Very Low Drag. Intended for long for caliber bullets. Works great, been using it now for over 30 years and dumped my old 45* tools for other tasks.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WylieC
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator .204

Post by WylieC »

Thanks. I ordered and used a VLD reamer and it seems to have worked.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I had never heard of this until now. I dont seem to have a problem seating my bullets...but I am picky about triming and chamfering my cases.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-VLD-Inside ... B001OPNR7I
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:50 am I had never heard of this until now. I dont seem to have a problem seating my bullets...but I am picky about triming and chamfering my cases.
Once you use the VLD chamfering tool, you'll see the difference it makes immediately. I learned about it from a well-known BR shooter many years ago when they first became available. I use it on all my rifle brass whether it's varmint or game calibers. It also precludes any copper jacket micro-shaving while seating the bullet from brass chamfered with the standard 45* tool. Long ago I examined loaded varmint loads under 10X magnification and noticed the shaving. Once the VLD tool was employed, problem gone.

One caveat using the VLD tool, go easy as these tools really cut. Too much force/rotation can make the brass case neck into a mini-cookie cutter. :eek: A little bit is all you need.

Just another little tidbit to make more accurate ammunition. :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick do you have a model or manufacturer that you reccomend? I dont want to cheap out this late in the game-
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:52 pmRick do you have a model or manufacturer that you reccomend? I dont want to cheap out this late in the game-
Mine came from Holland's Shooting Supplies. Darrell Holland is a friend, rat and prairie dog shooting partner, and Master Riflesmith. He's built two custom rigs for me in 223 Ackley and 243 Ackley that are tip-top quality and accuracy. His products and rifle building are highly recommended. He also operates a world class LR shooting school in MT now.

https://www.hollandguns.com/
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:13 am One caveat using the VLD tool, go easy as these tools really cut. Too much force/rotation can make the brass case neck into a mini-cookie cutter. :eek: A little bit is all you need.
This "cannot" be over emphasized. I purchased mine from K&M many years ago. It's a carbide cutter and a little tweak here & there goes along way.