Press Mounting: Limited Work Space for Reloading

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
graymist

Post by graymist »

Greg,

I bought the Frankford Arsenal Reloading Stand two years ago when I moved to a smaller home. I put it in my office that also does duty as a gun room and reloading area. It has been a good investment as I can move it anywhere in the room. The press on it is an old RCBS Jr I’ve had for 37 years. I also mounted my RCBS powder measure on it as well. I bought a spare top to mount a Dillon 550, but that press was just a bit much for the stand. I keep a small folding table next to the stand to hold powder, bullets and loading blocks. It all tucks neatly away when I need the space in the office. I mounted the 550 on a Black & Decker WorkMate. I keep the WorkMate in the garage where it does duty to hold a rifle cleaning vise as well.

Kamo

Post by Kamo »

I'm a few days behind but like to put in my 2 cents worth (actually overpriced).

As you can see you can do a lot with just a little. For info, I am now using the Frankford Armory loading stand and it works just fine. Now this is not my first choice for my press; I would rather have it on a sturdy work bench but I am in the process of relocating so I have to make do with what is doable. My make-shift table and stand are working for now.

I agree with other comments on the press. Buy the best press you are willing to pay for. I'm now loading only for the 204 in a RCBS RockChucker and I love it. I also load for the 243, 7mm Rem mag and others so the press is good for me but the point is that it is not too big to be a good choice for the 204.

Kamo
faucettb

Post by faucettb »

You might consider one of the Little Lee hand presses. You can keep all your equipment in a small tool box. They work fine for the 204/223 size cartridges and I've got a friend that uses his for the 30-06. They used standard dies.
Bob from Idaho
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Haskins, I dont believe the brand or type of press will change how rigid the bench needs to be. That is determined mostly by the brass you are reloading. For example, when I reload for the .270 it takes a lot more force on the handle than for the .204 or even less for the .357mag. Also after you reload some you will find that brass that has been fired several times or has been used for HOT, HOT loads will take more force to resize. I would definately err on the side of "too much" rather than not enough. Ithink the 1/2" plywood and C-clamp idea should work. Couldn't you cut 2 pieces to put on top of each other? Then you've got 1" plywood which should be more than strong enough.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
ennacac

Post by ennacac »

I am new here but this is how my 204 Ruger reloading press is set up.

I have the press bolted to a 12" 2"x6" board that I C clamp to the kitchen counter top when I want to reload. The press I use for 204 Ruger loads is a light weight Lee press, since my Rock Chucker is a bit heavy to move around.

I use a Lee powder measure set to just bellow my load that is on a smaller board than the press. I then drop that into a small electronic scale that is pocket size, then the powder goes into the primed case. After seating the bullets in the cases I just take off the C clamp, put the press, measure and scale away and the counter is clear again.

This is very handy and much warmer than working in the garage and it takes up no space unless I am loading shells.

I do have a Rock Chucker and RCBS scale set up permanently in the basement store room for larger shells since the Lee press isn't that heavy duty.

Tom