As the neck turns?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

As the neck turns?

Post by acloco »

Great....the 204 Ruger Hunting forum's own prairie dog soap opera.

Well...the 99 cent question....will group sizes decrease in factory barrels if turning the necks?
82boy

Post by 82boy »

from all i have read no its a wast of time, but as soon as the weather breaks and i can get to the range, I am going to try both ways out and see for myself.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

In a factory barrel, you'll be lucky to see any difference at all. I've done the turn & see experiments myself on three different rifles some years back.

About the only plus, is to take a cleanup cut on necks that vary in thickness more than say, .0015". But the downside to that is, if the necks vary that much, most likely the body of the case does too, so those cases will never give the accuracy you're in search of.

If you do turn those necks, be sure to only take no more than about 50% off, as turning too much will thin out the necks to a point that the neck will no longer hold a bullet properly, as your die won't be able to size it down to give enough neck tension. Been there, done that. (Bushing neck dies then is the only way to salvage those cases)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skb2706

Re: As the neck turns?

Post by skb2706 »

acloco wrote:Great....the 204 Ruger Hunting forum's own prairie dog soap opera.

Well...the 99 cent question....will group sizes decrease in factory barrels if turning the necks?
My opinion

no

My history with case neck turning

I only do it for two reasons

1. Custom chambered rifles that you know exactly what the specs from the chamber are. This allows you to tailor the case to fit the chamber with the proper amount of bullet release.

2. You are necking down brass enough that the necks are too thick to allow for bullet release or they have gotten eccentric.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Rick in Oregon wrote: But the downside to that is, if the necks vary that much, most likely the body of the case does too, so those cases will never give the accuracy you're in search of.

)
Wow Rick Never thought of that!!! I quess thats the last nail in the coffin for those 600 Win cases that've been a thorn in my side for so long. Neckwall variations of .004-.005. Turned em all too :evil:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco

Post by acloco »

I went to the public library with my with a couple weekends ago. She went her way...and I search their catalog for reloading info.

Brought home an AR15 info book and a 1975 copy of the ABC's of reloading. Good read from both.

The 1975 ABC's was kind of interesting....lots of pics of equipment.

..and...a two disc DVD from Sierra with David Tubbs.

He said case wall thickness variance is the source of quite a bit of group size. He had a NECO brand dial indicator/measuring stand setup to measure wall thickness variation. Find the thick or thin spot....mark all of your brass at the case head, and line up the thin or thick spot that you marked with the lugs of your bolt. He indicated the case acts like a banana, springing and unspringing when being fired at chamber pressure. If the banana is lined up with the lugs, this lessens the effect.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: Even with perfectly concentric cases, most Bench Rest shooters index their cases every time in the rifle for the absolute last word in shot to shot consistency. Apparantly it works, or those guys would never go to the trouble.

For us....or me at least, there's no way I could take the time to do that in the heat of battle in a prairie dog town or sage rat infested alfalfa field! But if a guy is after all the accuracy he can squeeze out of his rifle/load combination, that's one more step in the right direction, and David Tubb really knows his stuff. Who's to argue with a guy like him?

Of course when coyote hunting, and feeding from the magazine, that presents a new set of problems.... :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Confucious say "Never try to straighten a rotten banana" ;)

acloco

Post by acloco »

LOL!!!

I am content with my Savage.

The next step would be at least an aftermarket barrel with a squared up receiver/bolt/lugs....
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Aftermarket sounds so cheap. Buy a custom 8)
Pac-nor polygonal 11 twist. Sounds like it should shoot anyway :)
This summer I'll be looking into a real barrel with an attention to detail.
I havent been looking into them much because I knew if I figured out what I wanted I'd have to get it.

acloco

Post by acloco »

jo191145 - you and me.....our own worse wallet enemies! LOL!

I have a couple items to pay off this year......about 7 grand (hospital bills/etc)...and the wife and I will be debt free...except for the house payment. :)

So, will be snagging as much overtime as possible....of course while still fulfilling my pledged duty of Western Nebraska P-Dog Elimination Constable. WNPDogEC is my official title! LOL!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I wanted to be a knight when I was young.
Thats probably just because I had no idea WNPDogEC was a possibility. Now thats 8)

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

acloco

If neck thickness varies around the neck, the case will release the bullet on one side before the other. This isn't going to produce better groups. I agree that neck turning for a factory chamber probably isn't going to reduce your group size much but it sure can't hurt if your just cleaning up the necks. I have said this before and will say it again. It just might improve your confidence level.

When I was shooting competitions in the Marines. We used to meet on the range befor a match and try to sike each other out. If your succeeded in intimidating someone before the match, they wouldn't shoot worth a flip. Being mentally prepared is worth the effort. It instills confidence. If neck turning or primer pocket uniforming or whatever makes you more confident in your ammo, then you should.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

acloco

I bought some of the Norma brass from Sinclair and found it to be absolutly the best as far as neck wall thickness is concerned, especially after knocking down the high spots on some new R-P brass. I had to scrape more than 80% of the neck on the Normas to see a high spot. Its to bad that it is so expensive. There is no doubt that I will be investing in a redding competition bushing neck sizer SOON.
I'll tell you guys that next to you I am a real novice(only a year reloading). But because of this caliber I've really got the fever. There is no doubt that this sight has the right people for me to be learning from.

My first Pdogging trip ever will be in 2 weeks up in northern Az. :D I've got a 150 loaded and 250 to go. I can't wait to see what all this work has accomplished.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

acloco, I shot all win. and rem. brass and cut the necks for all my rifle's. It dose improve my group size doing this not alot but it does help. All my gun's have factory barrel's on them. This is just one more little step to improve your case's to me. And like Skipper said it sure can't hurt any thing.