Bulk Loading .204

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
goody523

Bulk Loading .204

Post by goody523 »

I am new to the reloading game and have learned a ton from all the guys on this forum who share their many years of experience. Using the info I have gained here I have made hand loads that make my .204 shoot better than I thought was possibly with a factory gun (or someone with my skills for that matter). I was at the range yesterday and was consisently shooting 5 shot groups out of my Browning Varmint Stalker that varied from .25" to .35", which seems pretty amazing to me (although I do have to admit one thing - when I am working up loads I always shoot 6 shots and throw out the worst one figuring it gets rid of some of the human error and gives me a better idea of how the load is really performing).

Anyway, I have a 5 day P-dog shoot coming up in Montana in early June where I need about 1000 rounds for my .204 and I have come to the realization that there is absolutely no way I have enough time to load that many myself if I go through all the steps I have been going through to get these groups (sizing new brass, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, trimmimg every case, etc.). That leaves me with two options:

1) Buy 1000 rounds of HSM with 39gr Sierra BK and save all the brass. I have shot these loads and they group at about 1.1" with my gun - not horrible, but not nearly as good as my handloads.

2) Buy more new Remington brass (which is what I have been using) and just put in primers, load powder straight from the dropper and seat a bullet.

To be honest there isn't a huge difference in price between the two routes (not enough to worry about anyway) so the upside of going route #1 is zero time involved and the upside of going route #2 is that I have all Remington brass and hopefully better consistency than route #1. What do you guys think - am I going to run into any trouble with route #2 in terms of saftey? I looked at some of the other new Remington brass and it looks like some of the case mouths are a little out of round, but maybe I could fix that with a run through the neck sizer??? What do you guys think?
If I spent as much time trying to manage my investments as I do researching guns and shooting I could retire 15 years earlier...
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

goody523, I think either way would be O.K. If you go for the new brass, I would run them through the neck sizer for sure. Of the 1500 new WW cases I have prepped, none needed to be full length sized. They dropped into the die. I would check a few at least.
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

Was also wondering how many use the powder measure only ( not weighing each load ) for big amounts of p- dog ammo??? My RCBS seems pretty consistent , and to me weighing the powder is the most time consuming!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

For bulk loading like that, best to use the finest grain powder that you feel is suitable, and one that has proven itself in your rifle, so that the powder measure will give the most consistent results.

Check a round about every 25 on the scale just to make sure all is well.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but getting ready for my 6th Montana pd trip. This is my first year loading for my .204, usually shoot a .223 or 22-250. My suggestions: neck size, to round out the new brass, debur flash holes. I don't trim new brass, wait till you get back. I have used my RCBS powder charger to dump powder, but still weighed most charges. I bought a RCBS chargemaster, and only weigh charges on occasion.
Personally, I wouldn't be very happy going to Montana with 1000 rounds that wouldn't hold an inch at 100 yds. Especially knowing the gun will do better. I had rather have 400-500 rounds that would shoot in the .2's and .3's. I would work like crazy, or buy a chargemaster and load all the "quality" rounds I could turn out instead of buying factory. My humble opinion...
goody523

Post by goody523 »

I have been thinking about buying the ChargeMaster after watching my dad use his - maybe this is the thing I needed do to get myself over the top (or maybe I can just steal his). The load I have worked up is with Varget, which doesn't meter the best in my hand thrower, but I like the way it performs and I already own a lot of it.

If I just neck size using the Imperial dry lube I shouldn't need to tumble the cases and deal with picking all that cleaning media out of the primer pockets - right? Speaking of which, does anyone have a recommendation for good cleaning media that doesn't fit perfectly into the primer pocket on .204 brass? I hate sitting there with my dental pick getting all that junk out of the cases.

I can deal with deburring flash holes as I can do that while I watch TV with my wife and I don't get the old, "What are you doing down in that room forever?" look. The primer pocket uniforming takes a lot of time (even with the RCBS Prep Mate Station) and it kills my fingers to hold a ton of cases, but maybe I can figure out a way to do that while I'm doing something else as well (I need my boys to be about 2 years older so I can pay them to do all this stuff!).

You are correct - it is painful to use factory ammo once you have seen what you can achieve with hand loads (in fact, after seeing what my rifle can do with these carefully prepared hand loads it is beyond me why I would ever buy a custom rifle as I am convinced that whatever little inaccuracy remains is due to me and not the gun). On the other hand - I have a day job, kids baseball practice, spring cleaning, etc. to deal with before the trip. If I could just figure out a way to get rid of this stupid job I would have a lot more time to load ammo and do a lot of other stuff I have been meaning to get around to.....
If I spent as much time trying to manage my investments as I do researching guns and shooting I could retire 15 years earlier...
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I loaded all my .204 rounds in new brass, so I didn't tumble. But when I do, I tumble first, then de-prime, so I don't have primer pockets full of media. I'm loading Benchmark powder, and it meters better than Varget.
Maybe you could drop off your brass at old Dad's and let him test his chargemaster on the .204's. Tell him to call you when the loading is done.
And the BIG factor for me, being retired makes my loading a lot easier. Good luck....
skb2706

Re: Bulk Loading .204

Post by skb2706 »

goody523 wrote:I am new to the reloading game and have learned a ton from all the guys on this forum who share their many years of experience. Using the info I have gained here I have made hand loads that make my .204 shoot better than I thought was possibly with a factory gun (or someone with my skills for that matter). I was at the range yesterday and was consisently shooting 5 shot groups out of my Browning Varmint Stalker that varied from .25" to .35", which seems pretty amazing to me (although I do have to admit one thing - when I am working up loads I always shoot 6 shots and throw out the worst one figuring it gets rid of some of the human error and gives me a better idea of how the load is really performing).

Anyway, I have a 5 day P-dog shoot coming up in Montana in early June where I need about 1000 rounds for my .204 and I have come to the realization that there is absolutely no way I have enough time to load that many myself if I go through all the steps I have been going through to get these groups (sizing new brass, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, trimmimg every case, etc.). That leaves me with two options:

1) Buy 1000 rounds of HSM with 39gr Sierra BK and save all the brass. I have shot these loads and they group at about 1.1" with my gun - not horrible, but not nearly as good as my handloads.

2) Buy more new Remington brass (which is what I have been using) and just put in primers, load powder straight from the dropper and seat a bullet.

To be honest there isn't a huge difference in price between the two routes (not enough to worry about anyway) so the upside of going route #1 is zero time involved and the upside of going route #2 is that I have all Remington brass and hopefully better consistency than route #1. What do you guys think - am I going to run into any trouble with route #2 in terms of saftey? I looked at some of the other new Remington brass and it looks like some of the case mouths are a little out of round, but maybe I could fix that with a run through the neck sizer??? What do you guys think?
Your options ...my response

1. Not an option.........I don't do factory ammo. With ammo that shoots 1.1" at a 100 yds. it is very likely you will not be effective out past 250 yds.

2. You could have much worse problems than having to load 1000 rds. Find a load that works in your rifle that uses Ball powder and drop it in, check every 20 or so.
In a real pinch round out the necks, flash debur, load em and test em. If they will hit out to 400 yds. it is not likely you will need more range.

Personally I don't think that loading 100 rds/week is that big a deal. I do it all the time........................
goody523

Post by goody523 »

Doing 100 rds a week is probably not that big a deal to people with normal jobs, but I travel 4-5 days a week all over the world for my job and I imagine they would frown upon me bringing all my reloading equipment and powder, etc. on the airplane (although it would be nice as I have a lot of time to kill in hotels). Since I am gone so much during the week, my weekends are pretty hectic trying to play catch up on the honey do list and spending time with my young sons. My reloading time is usually between 4am and 6am before everyone gets up and then again after 10:00pm when everyone goes to bed. As you can imagine, it becomes a little hairy to fit all this in and actually sleep once in awhile. I need to find a local retiree I can pay to do my reloading...
hunterapp

Post by hunterapp »

"I need to find a local retiree I can pay to do my reloading..."

Goody523, You may be on to something there. I am sure someone would be happy to accommodate your needs to pay for their hobby. They may even shoot your rifle for you ;)

Truly sounds like you may not be a good candidate for this reloading thing given your range of other commitments :(
goody523

Post by goody523 »

Not willing to give up on the reloading - it is actually a bizarre form of therapy for me (plus, now that I have seen how well my rifle shoots with it, I will be irritated with the lack of accuracy every time I shoot factory ammo from here on out). My only issue is the amount of ammo I need to make in the short amount of time I have to do it. Maybe I can start a business for retired guys that like to play around with guns and reloading. Busy guys like me can send them their guns and they can do load development until they find something the rifle likes and then they can sell the guy custom hand loads for the rest of time once the guy sees how well his gun will shoot with them. What do you think? Maybe I have found a way to quit that day job....
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Sounds simple enough. Buy a good stock of factory ammo and components. Load what you can with the time you have and supplement your reloads with the factory stuff.
It would be great if your reloads shot to the same POI as the factory but not likely. Maybe you could sight in with your loads and remember where the factory stuff hits out to 200yds and use it for the close stuff. Just a thought.
I use graphite and a neck sizer. Never could figure out why some people deprime before tumbling. If its to remove wet lube from FL sizing maybe.
I have issues with my Chargemaster but you sound like the perfect candidate for one. Definately steal your dads
Have a great time out there.

Oh yeah, the official rule is if you want one freebie you have to shoot ten shot groups. I used to do the same thing myself when I started out ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
contender hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Contender 23'' Bull BBL. Custom laminate Stock

Post by contender hunter »

There must be a way to take advantage of all that hotel time , Lee use to make alot of hand tools to reload with , but I don't no much about them , make up a suit case with your loading gear and you would be all set when you get back to your room !!!! Not sure about the powder thing in a airplane , would it be ok if checked into baggage and not carry on ??
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Hotel time could be some quality brass prep time.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Powder, primers, and gunny related things DO NOT mix with commercial air travel any more. Best to leave that at home and avoid the big hassle!

A bomb sniffing dog will bullseye your powder, and possibly your primers right away. Not good. :shock:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails