VLP barrel finally broke in

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
odes33

VLP barrel finally broke in

Post by odes33 »

It took about 120 rds but I think my barrel is finally broke in. I shot this group on saturday: 26.8gr H335 in new Winchester brass w/ BR-4 primers and the 39gr Sierra BK.
All five shots basically went in the same hole. The target was taped to some particle board so it tore up the paper quite a bit. Sorry about the picture quality but all I had was my phone. I had several other groups that were within 1moa. I'm looking for a load I can mass produce for prairie dogs. I've had some sucess with BL-C(2) also. This was the first day I could really shoot a group with this rifle. The height of the white stripe is one inch.

The crossed off shots are from my 22LR.

I also had a reloading question as I've only shot new brass so far. I have a full-length sizer die but have only sized the necks on the new brass. Do most reloaders bump the shoulder back some or is it okay to leave it where it's at so it fits my chamber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Casey
Savage 12VLP Mueller Eraticator

58.3% of all statistics are made up.
Flying isn't dangerous, crashing is.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Casey - I like to bump the shoulders 0.001".

But, I am neck sizing two of the three varmint calibers I shoot (204 & 223). I REALLY like the Redding neck sizing die.
odes33

Post by odes33 »

How do you measure the shoulder to be accurate to one thousandth? Will a standard caliper work or do I need to buy some sort of gauge? I have reloaded my .243 by just sizing the neck and all seemed well.
Savage 12VLP Mueller Eraticator

58.3% of all statistics are made up.
Flying isn't dangerous, crashing is.