I need to find a better sizing lube. Any suggestions?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

I need to find a better sizing lube. Any suggestions?

Post by Va varminter »

I pretty much just neck size, but FL size every once in a while. I use the hornady one shot. It cleans up nice, but makes a mess when I spray it over my brass. And it's not very cost effective. I was thinking about bringing home some moly or graphite from work and trying that. Would that work? By the way, I hate useing the pad to roll the cases on. It's way too messy for me.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Go with the powdered graphite. Neco used to make a moly kit for neck sizing. I've heard some expierienced moly users say that a little moly can be a bad thing. I won't bother going into the specifics of thier theorys but using moly just for sizing may cause more coppering in the bore than normal.
This applies to naked bullets only. If your using moly bullets then using moly to lube your necks is fine.
Graphite works great for necksizing. You can put it in a small container with steel shot. Just dip the case in the shot twist it and size away ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

In my opinion, there are only two commercial sizing lubes - Imperial sizing die wax and Hornady sizing die wax.

The Hornady is a lot lighter than the Imperial. I touch my pointer finger in the small tub, touch the case about 1/4" below the shoulder, spin the case, keeping pointer and thumb on case, and twirl case until pointer and thumb get to the bottom of the case.

VERY easy to clean up. I give my brass a "finish" tumble in CLEAN medium corn cob - for a nice shine. Does NOT dent case necks either - just keep the case count to about 1/3 of what you normally put in a vibrating tumbler.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Try using a paper towel folded in half with that One Shot instead of the pad. It helps to lube the cases evenly without a lot of excess.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

I'm with acloco on this one. I also use Imperial sizing die wax. I believe Rick also uses Imperial.
Easy to put on and easy to take off. It also seems to clean up the case a bit in the process. I apply with my finger and thumb and remove with a shop towel. All the carbon & soot from the neck come off when you wipe the case off. And no oily after taste!

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Hey, just noticed that skipper just made his 1k post. Congrats and thanks for all the good information you've shared with all of us.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Maybe I need to talk less. :puke:

I have and use Imperial wax but, it's much faster to spray those suckers with RCBS Case Slick on a paper towel and roll them back and forth when FL sizing. Just one roll back and forth now, any more and you're playing with 'em. I let the tumbler clean them off. Now if I'm neck sizing I do use the Imperial. I don't think you should limit yourself to only one product. I do laugh every time I read where Rick calls it 600 weight, though. That's a good one, Rick. :lmao:
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Does anybody use the white mica for neck sizing? When I neck size I just dip the neck into the mica and tap the case to shake off any excess. After I have ran the case through the die the mica leaves a visual mark as to how much of the neck has been sized. This seems to work ok for me but I'm always on the lookout for something better.

Thanks guys,
Bub
I may not learn fast but I learn good.
georgetwalkerjr

Imperial

Post by georgetwalkerjr »

Imperial, Imperial, Imperial, etc.etc.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Another vote for Imperial Sizing Wax, and Imperial Dry Neck Lube for neck sizing only. Used all the other stuff, including the "200 Weight" RCBS gunk they pass off as lube......Imperial beats them all hands down.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

I use Imperial which is now sold under the Redding brand but there is supposed to be a product by the name of Rooster that is as good or better. I may never know because a small tin of Imperial may last til long after I quit handloading.
The N.U.B.

Post by The N.U.B. »

I still use the One Shot for my volume .204 needs. I too am a fan of Imperial. After reading several posts here, I switched from the Unique to Imperial for those precision days and for my .25-06. I tried the One Shot on the bigger cases and still couldn't get a nice smooth stroke on the press.

I bought a dog bowl at Murdochs here in Denver and use it for my lube tray. I just spray the heck out of the pile of .204 cases then rattle them around and spray again. Works great if extreme precision isn't the objective.

I agree that a couple of tins/cans around don't cost much and will let one try different things at different times. I
Only good Prairie Dog is a dead Prairie Dog.
dwest

Post by dwest »

I have used just about all the 200 weight oils. I have a can of One Shot that I tried. I keep going back to Dillon's Lube. It is the best that I have used and does't leave a bad film.
dwest
dwest
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

Seems to me that all of the 'spray products' waste half of the container by spraying all kinds of things that don't need sized.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

For neck sizing. Imperial Dry Neck Lube (better known as Graphite)
Forget the waxs. Forget the sprays and oils. It takes to much time to apply and remove.
Forster sells a dry neck lube station with a small well and various brushes. It comes with white mica. Order the Graphite with it and chuck the mica in the trash.
I do not full length size my brass ever so graphite is all I use. YMMV

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .