Sighting in Savage 204 in 12 FLV

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Sask Boy

Sighting in Savage 204 in 12 FLV

Post by Sask Boy »

I went out yesterday first day to see if I could hit paper as I just received my RCBS dies.
I used Hornady 45 gr factory to hit paper @ 25 yards got 2 bullets to touch and then tried 2- 39 gr blitzkings with 26 grs of H4895 and did the same thing.
I then attempted the same thing out a 100 yards and could not hit the standard 100 yd target. I tried both factory and my reloads with the same results. Wind was not real strong.
I bought a B & L 4000 Elite 6 X 24-40 and it was used but it looked like it had just come out of the box.
I took the rifle back to the shop and explained the problem and no one seemed to think of what it could be.
I cleaned the rifle after the first 3 shots and again at 5 shots.
I was very confused as I have reloaded for years and trickled in the entire 26 grains double checking every 3rd load.
It was suggested that I go back out today and this time I took some factory federals 39 gr. blitzkings and I loaded some 39gr blitzkings with same powder but 2 different loads 26grs & 26.5grs.
I had to move the scope 3 inches to the right again and shot 2 factory loads and both of the hand loads after the initial adjustment I fired the first shot and was able to place the second one almost in the same hole with all three loads.
I then moved out to the 100 but it was extremely wind so I was hoping to at least hit the traget and I shot 2 more factory and was about 6 inches high at 100yds. I moved it down and was fine with the rest of the test.
I did not realing concerned at 100 because of the wind but all three loads hit approximately where I was aiming.
I am leaving for the farm tomorrow morning and I loaded up the remainder of the bullets using 26.5 grs of H4895.
Can anyone help regarding why there was such a turn around the rifle now has approximately 75 rounds through it, could it be the break in period?
I was concerned with the scope as it is used. There was no signs of excess pressure and the primers on my reloads look good no flatting at all.

Dan
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Sask Boy welcome to the forum, It seem's that most of the 12fv are a little rough in side the barrel's when new. And need 100 or 150 rounds put through them befor they settle down. But it seem's that every one here is getting very good accuracy with them after they settle down. I only shoot the 35gr bullet's through my 12fv. so i can't help you with the 39gr. at all. But I'm sure some one will jump in here to say some thing about them. Good luck and let us know how thing's go for ya ok?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

After sighting in at 25 yards you were probably shooting over the target at 100 yards because the bullet is still on the rise. One hundred yards is not very far for the .204. I would not shoot at 25 yards any more. Go to the 100 yard range and set the rifle up in the bags. Pull the bolt out and look down through the bore. Line the bore up with the bulls eye and then adjust your scope to dead center of the bulls eye. You should be on the paper when you shoot.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
82boy

Post by 82boy »

I would say the scope is suspect to me. majority of times when a rifle is not shooting well, the reason behind it is the scope. Make sure everything is tight, especialy the front scope mounts. I have never had a problem with it, but others have, with the front base sometimes they send screws that are too long and bottom out on the barrel threads and the base will not tighten up. So check to make sure the base is tight.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

1 inch low at 25 yards = 3 inches high at 100 with various loads in both my Savage 204's. About the same formula on 22-250 and 220 Swift with 50 and 55 grain bullets. Once you're on target at 100, don't mess with the 25 yard line unless you shoot at a lot of mad charging gophers. A 40 mph wind won't put you off the paper at 100.