Neck turning

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Super 91

Neck turning

Post by Super 91 »

How important is it?

I don't have a pile of time under my belt as far as reloading, and wanted to know how much importance do you guys place on neck turning?

And if you do turn, what equipment do you prefer and why?
Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

Super 91
Rule of thumb for neck turning is: if the necks are more than .oo2" difference in thickness from one side to the other, then it's worth the time. If not, don't waste your time doing it. I use a hand held Forster/Sinclair turner and chuck my 204s/223's up in a cordless drill (above the base -- about in the middle of the shell). Then I inside chamfer, neck turn and flash-hole debur each shell while it's in the drill, in that order. Works for me - and I'm fussy ! :D
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
Super 91

Post by Super 91 »

Thanks GB, I will check them on my RCBS case master and see what they read. I got Winchester brass which everyone says is pretty consistant. But thanks for the info!
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

i read an article recently i think it was in varmint hunter mag
The author went though some extensive tests and came to the conclusion that neck turning was a waste of time. No decernable improvement.
So who knows.
Gone Ballistic

Post by Gone Ballistic »

Varmonter
I can believe that article. I only got into it because that's what the "benchrest boys" were doing. But since I have the equipment and it takes about the same amount of time to neck turn instead of outside chamfer the burr off after trimming, I do that and at least it makes me feel better. ........ and you know, in this day-and-age feeling good is all that matters ! ;) But for Super 91, the theory goes that the thinner side of the neck holding the bullet will release easier/quicker? and possibly starts the bullet slightly canted as it enters the rifling. YOU decide !
"The only thing a pistol is good for, is to fight your way to your rifle." ....the late Jeff Cooper

The only two people willing to die for you are Jesus Christ and an American G.I. .... Thank them both !
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

I have never neck turned. Seems like my 204 always shoots 32, 40 VMax at 1/2" to 3/4" (5 shot groups).

Now if I were a competition shooter, then I would take the time to make every case as exact as the next one.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

My understanding....

Post by Vartarg »

Meager as it is, is that neck turning is important and/or necessary when dealing with a custom chamber with minimum dimensions....rather than for factory rifles. There are probably a bunch of things we do in handloading that could be dispensed, but I for one enjoy the process and satisfaction of producing quality ammo.... Best, George
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Even if you primarily hunt varmints, sooner or later you are going to do some serious load development. When you hit the range you will want a good set of matched brass to work with. How will you ever find the right load if you just throw some rounds together?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

There is a difference between reloading and hand loading. I hand load because I want to get the best ammunition I can.