Neck sizing die problems.

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
kirbymagnum

Neck sizing die problems.

Post by kirbymagnum »

I'm having trouble setting up my neck sizing die. I have the bushing in the right way ( So i think) and when I adjust the die so the sliding sleeve full compresses it will only go 1/8 " of the way in even when I adjust the micrometer. What am I doing wrong? Was I supposed to take out of a piece because of the bushing?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Which die are you talking about? Redding, Forster, RCBS?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Redding
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

kirbymagnum

Sorry, I've never used that particular die before. Read the instructions to see if you need to full length size before you use the bushing die. The instructions that came with my RCBS Bushing Sizing die said that the bushings need to go in with the writing facing right side up so there may be a right and wrong way to place the bushing into the die. You might also try taking the bushing out just to see if the case will go all the way into the die. That might help you troubleshoot. Make sure the expander ball isn't bottoming out in the bottom of the case.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rodbolt

Post by Rodbolt »

kirbymagnum,
I may be confused but the die with the sliding sleeve and micrometer head is the bullet seating die, not the bushing/sizer die..... The bushings go in the die that has the decapping pin to remove the primer. This die is somewhat different then a non-bushing sizer die in that you must tighten the top/knurled adjustment knob all the way down against the bushing. This prevents the bushing from floating up and only sizing part of the neck. The decapping pin and expander are adjusted from the inside or only when you have it apart to access the bushing. If you are not using the decapping pin or expander you still must use the pieces they thread into as spacers. Hope this makes a little sense?
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Thanks for the help. The neck sizing die has a sliding sleeve and a micrometer too. The expander ball and the decapping pin are still in there. Maybe I didn't put the bushing in the right place? The instructions they provided are not very descriptive and for a beginner that is frustrating. Maybe i have to take out a piece in replace of the bushing? Even when I take out the bushing it still doesnt compress all the way even when i adjust the micrometer.

This is the die set i have. http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Kirbymagnum, I've got the other neck sizeing bushing die from redding with out the micrometer adjustment on the top of it. And you adjust it like Rodbolt said in he's post. But here is redding tech line 607-753-3331 ) if you already haven't called them yet. Sorry i can't help you out any more.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

My Lee neck sizer is only to be used on fire formed brass not new.
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Lee C., do you happen to know their mailing address? I can't seem to find it on their web site. I called Redding at 607-753-3331 and Jay from costumer service told me to mail the die to him so he can fix it or replace it.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/ ... ality.html

At the very bottom.

1089 Starr Road, Cortland, NY 13045 • Phone (607) 753-3331 • FAX (607) 756-8445
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Thanks for all the help guys/girls.