What case trimmer?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

What case trimmer?

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I have the Lee trimmer but Lee won't make a .204 gauge for it. I guess the neck is too small for them. ??? Is there an inexpensive option? Or do I have to spend the money to get a RCBS trimmer?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Berg2: Personally, I prefer the Forester trimmer because with it, you can trim, ream, do primer pockets, hollow-pointing, and even outside neck turn with it, to name a few operations.

I've used mine for over 30 years with no regrets. Redding has a new offering that looks interesting, but I do not have any experience with it, but do know that you cannot neck turn with it.

Here's my Forester set up for neck turning recently:

All in all, I believe the Forester is the more versatile tool of the lot, but that's just my opinion FWIW. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

wilson case trimmer, very good product and isnt overally costly.
Bergcrane2

Post by Bergcrane2 »

craigyboy wrote:wilson case trimmer, very good product and isnt overally costly.
I just saw that. For about $30-$35 too. Hmm :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

craigyboy: I know Wilson makes very high quality reloading tools, but set me straight here....is it true that with the Wilson trimmer, you need differnent case holders for new cases, and another for fired cases?

A friend had one a while back, and I seem to remember him whining about fired cases not fitting inside the case body holder he had, as it was indended only for new, unfired cases.

I've wondered about that ever since, and as it appears you have one, what's the real story from a Wilson user?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bergcrane2

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Rick-I'm reading it right now on MidwayUSA.com . Very true. I don't think it applies to the 204, but it does on most larger cases.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Don't forget, ALL of the accessories for the Forster are 15-35% less expensive than all the other brands. A dollar or two difference in the cost of pilots adds up.
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

yeah you do need a different holder for fired cases however I personally dont trim new cases and prefer to wait until the first firing, I always reckon the first firing on new brass is just fireforming to your chamber, also depending on the brass length and chamber length sometimes I like to let them stretch out a bit to fill out the chamber better before firing. I cant fault the wilson trimmer, it comes at a great price and holders are only something like $15. The way it holds the case means you get a very good square end as there is no way it can move around, look on sinclair as they have the stand and even a micrometer adjuster for them.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

craigyboy: Yep, as I thought. Like you, I don't trim my new cases either, I wait until after the first firing for the same reason. Otherwise, you're trimming twice, annd after the second firing (and first trimming), they're almost all the same length from that time on.

If I were to start over in regard to a trimmer, I'm not sure if I'd go Wilson or Forester....being able to neck turn on the Forester sure is a neat option..... Both are excellent tools to be sure. We're all lucky to have such great choices available to us. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I trim my new cases. WW cases are a mess out of the bag. The mouth looks like it was cut with a chain saw and no way it is square. If you are a bench rest guy and only have 50 cases that is fine. I deal with an amount that will burn up a barrel. Trim again after two firings. I switched to the Wilson trimmer to get away from the pilots and the collet holder. I had a Redding. Just a piece of junk. Just no way that system is as repeatable as a Wilson case holder style trimmer. Come on here, the case holders are only $6.00 bucks.
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

Whistlepig you are sure right about those ww cases, I got a bag of 100 and started to pick out the best ones, didnt end up with much that I was happy with so went to hornady brass which is much better, I was trying to get Norma but it seems to be as rare as rocking horse dung, I also reckon the wilson is a great trimmer I have only had experience the the redding and wilson and I also thought teh redding was junk, havent tryed a forester but they do look very well made.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Speaking of brass...the RP brass has been VERY good compared to Win or Hornady.

I would rank the brass as RP #1!!, Win, and then Hornady.
Bergcrane2

Post by Bergcrane2 »

acl- What's RP brass?
acloco

Post by acloco »

Remington - stamp is RP or R P on the case head.
WT

Post by WT »

Bergcrane2 wrote:acl- What's RP brass?
R-P is what Remington used to be called "Remington-Peters"

Wayne,

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"
NRA Life Member 30+ Years