Howa 1500 and 40 grain bullets?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Dizzy

Howa 1500 and 40 grain bullets?

Post by Dizzy »

Hi all. I have a Howa 1500 and the literature says that the twist rate (1:12 I think) will stabilize a 40 grain bullet. It's right at the edge of stability for this twist rate though. Anyone shoot 40 grainers through a Howa? Did they stabilize well? I had planned on staying with 39 grains and less but found a good deal on some 40 grain bullets. Thanks.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

I shoot 40 grain Noslers out of a 1:12 barrel and they shoot ok. But the 39BK is the most accurate I've shot so far.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

You'll never know until you try them, some rifles love them, some won't take 40s at all (both mine, for example :( ) I've shot a Ruger at the range that loved 40s above all else, and I've seen Savages shoot them well, but mine won't. The individual likes and dislikes of the .204 rifles is one of the more interesting things about them, and the most frustrating!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Dizzy
I also have a Howa 1500 SSHB in .204. I have had limited success with 40 grain bullets. It won't shoot Nosler 40's at all. Hornady 40 V-Max will do about 0.75" at 100 yds. Bear in mind that my range time with 40 grain bullets is very limited.
But, it really likes Sierra 39 BK's. Will shoot in the .1's and .2's as long as I do my part. Also shoots Berger 35's very well.
Right at the moment, my bullet of choice for sage rats is Nosler 34 FBHP. Typical groups run around 0.4" @ 100 yds well within minute of sage rat.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

gwglave--I would be very interested in finding out where you are getting the 34 gr. FBHP Nosler bullets you mentioned in this quote from your post:
Right at the moment, my bullet of choice for sage rats is Nosler 34 FBHP. Typical groups run around 0.4" @ 100 yds well within minute of sage rat.
I'm wondering if Nosler has come out with a third bullet for the .204 Ruger in addition to their 32 gr. and 40 gr. BT ballistic tip offerings or if you meant the Winchester 34 gr. FBHP bullets?????
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Midway's Dogtown Bullets are made by Nosler, mostly for the Australian market, where they are sold as Nosler "Shots". You can get them, CHEAP, at Midway, I just bought 500 for $46.95, which is a bargain at today's prices, considering the price increases lately :( . They don't shoot quite as well for me, but are good enough to use on short-range PDs, and to plink with. Pretty fair bullets!
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

glen nosler sent me a email saying they did not make the dogtown bullet when i was trying to find the bc of them but it might just be someone else has the name so they cant claim them they do look like the winchester bullets without the hollow point crimped shut . combined tech. maybe ?
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Well, I HAVE been wrong before :hammer: but Nosler does sell the .20 "Shots" in Australia, the guys down there are always buzzing about them. I "assumed" they are the same bullet, OOPS. On the other hand, Combined Technologies is a partnership between Winchester Ammo and Nosler, so that sorta brings us back full circle :loco: They might have a marketing agreement with Midway to disavow any ownership of this, I dunno, but it's pretty suspicious, both being 34 gr. HPs and all
gwglave

Post by gwglave »

Silverfox
I buy the Nosler 34 FBHP bullets at the Nosler Pro Shop in Bend, OR. The Nosler employee who manages the Pro Shop has assured me that the Midway Dogtown 34 FBHP bullets are one and the same. And glenn asher is also correct. The .204 34 FBHP bullets are labeled as S.h.o.t.s (tm).

Nosler makes 22 cal SHOTS in 50 and 55 grains that are intended for the Australian market. The 22 cal Shots resemble Nosler solid base bullets but I would guess the bullet construction is somewhat different. The 55 grainers shoot very well, ~0.4" in my Howa 1500 SSHB (.22-250). I have not tried them on varmints yet, so can't tell you how they expand. I just know they shoot excellent.

As for the .204 34 FBHP, I would guess they were also intended to go to Australia. And, as glenn asher indicated, the pricing is very attractive. I have shot nearly 500 of the .204 34 FBHP bullets so far this rat season. They are devastating in their expansion. About a month ago, I shot a sage rat with 34 FBHP in which the front half ended up 36 measured feet from where it was when I shot it! Last week-end I had 3 one shot kills on badgers using these bullets. Range was 125 yds to 200 yds. All three were DRT. Bullet entered and did not come out. When I picked up the carcass, it felt like 18 lbs of jello. I guess you get the picture.
If any of you are interested in the Shots bullets or Nosler factory seconds, visit the Nosler web site Shooters Pro Shop at http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

gwglave--Thanks for the comeback on my question. I certainly wasn't aware of the bullet you mentioned. If I wasn't getting such good accuracy and action out of my 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing and 40 gr. Nosler BT loads I would think about buying a couple hundred of those 34 g. FBHP Noslers and testing them out. As of July 13, 2007, I have finally shot more bullets at live targets than I have at paper. My shot count is now at 1,025 bullets at paper and 1,040 at live targets! The rifle is still shooting as good as ever. I am pleased with this Savage 12VLP, to say the least!!! :D :D :D

It sure is nice that the reloading product manufacturers are getting in line and making brass and bullets for us .204 caliber nuts!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I'm not as dumb as I look, then????????????? :cheer: :wishes: That'll sure surprise some folks :wink: .
Robert harrel
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 m ll,cooper mod21, rem 700,savage12 fvb,savage lrpv

Post by Robert harrel »

glen said I'm not as dumb as I look, then????????????? but it sure makes me feel dumb but thats what the email said . now if i email them for the bc of 204 34 FBHP s.h.o.t. maybe i will get a real answer
glen i humbly apololgize
gwglave thanks for the link
If not for my forgetful nature remembering things would be no problem at all.
gwglave

Post by gwglave »

To all,
I was cruising around the Nosler site, and found this page on the S.h.o.t.s "Australia overruns". Thought you all might be interested.
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=132
These are not seconds and the price is right. However, I did not see any .204 S.h.o.t.s listed.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

robert, there is NO need to apologize, I know I make plenty of muck-ups, I can't be alone in that :D If I weren't fouling up now and then, I'd think I was something special, and I KNOW that isn't true :lol: It's just part of living.
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Awhile back I had contacted Nosler about their "Premium" 34gr FBHP, and received the reply that that bullet was for their Aussie market. About the same time of their reply, GWGLAVE confirmed it and led me to the Nosler Pro Shop. I think the mystery of Nosler/Premium/SHOT/Dogtown is solved. Now, how 'bout the Win 32gr
Silvertips?