What Reloading Equip To Buy???

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Savage12VLP

What Reloading Equip To Buy???

Post by Savage12VLP »

I am very appreciative of the advise provided by experienced hunters/shooters on this forum. For new hunters, such as myself, I have found many wish words of wisdom that have helped me to grow in knowledge. I spend months reading reviews; pouring over articles and relying on friends seeking solid advice before choosing the .204 Caliber and then a rifle (Savage Model 12 VLP) and then a scope (8.5-25x50 AO Eradicator). I have to admit the whole process can be exhausting. Now I must enter into the confusing world of reloading.

Pouring through catalogs there are dozens of presses, scale, dies, and powder choices and once again I come to this forum seeking advise from the pros to help me sort through all the hype and slick marketing ads. I will be reloading my .204 and .223. I am leaning toward Lee, but they do not make dies in .204. I and seeking any and all input on the ins and out of reloading equipment.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

First let me ask.

How much do you want to spend?

And

What kind of shooting will you be doing?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Lee has some good kits, very cost effective, but later on, when you discover you really enjoy what you're doing, making fine ammo and shooting more, you may find that Lee's stuff isn't quite up to par.

You might as well go first class from the start, with an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit. They aren't exactly cheap, but they last forever and that is a LONG time, with outstanding service and warranties to back them up. They just don't wear out. You'd have everything you need to get started, right at the beginning, except dies, which is okay, you might want Redding dies, anyway :D . You can add other brands of accessories later on, if you choose.

I'd check on e-bay first, like I stated above, the stuff won't wear out, and you might find a great deal on used equipment, that might bring the prices down comparable to Lee's stuff. I've had some bad experiences with some of Lee's products (and Lyman's, too) so I usually go for some shade of Green (RCBS or Redding).
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rambler

What Reloading Equip To Buy

Post by Rambler »

Hello all, First off I'm a long time Lurker and kinda new to reloading myself, I think you can get by with Lee for starters--I'd go with the Classic press if I chose Lee. But If you take the advise of some of the other members I'm sure they will tell you buy the Good stuff once and be done.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Savage12VLP I too went thru that stage this past YEAR, and it wasn't till a few weeks ago that i finnaly decided what i was getting. I have about 1/8 of what i need to start reloading, and i'm guessing it'll take at least another six months to get everything.

If you can wait a little bit i had planned on writing a little post listing everything i chose and why. If money is a major concern, and time isn't, factory ammo will hold you off, plus you'll have more brass for reloading.
Savage12VLP

Post by Savage12VLP »

WrzWaldo wrote:First let me ask.

And

I am hunting PD and coyotes. I just want to save some monet reloading; not concerned with being about to load 100''s of rounds per hour; a system that is quality. As far as a budget - I am hoping to keep the purchase under $500.00
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Savage12VLP wrote:
WrzWaldo wrote:First let me ask.

And

I am hunting PD and coyotes. I just want to save some monet reloading; not concerned with being about to load 100''s of rounds per hour; a system that is quality. As far as a budget - I am hoping to keep the purchase under $500.00
Ruckchucker Supreme Master Kit - $249 at Midway

Hornady New Dimension 2 Die Set - $28.99 at Midway

Hornady New Dimension Neck Die - $23.99 at Midway (You don't actually need this)

There are some other bits and pieces you will need, like a caliper and something to clean your brass with. But for the bulk of the gear you are at about $300, with some good shopping you could pick the remaining items up and still have money out of that $500 for some powder, primers, and bullets.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I think everyone here knows I favor the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. The kit would almost get you everything you need to get started. Some of the items you will need that don't come in the kit are:

Dies (Redding or Forster, preferred)
Calipers
Case Trimmer
Trimmer Pilot (.20 caliber)
Primer Pocket Uniformer
Flash Hole Deburring Tool
Shell Holder (#10)

Later on you'll end up buying more things but, with the basics, you'll be ready to start a life long rewarding hobby. Buy quality and only buy once.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

If you "think" you might spend a lifetime reloading...go with a Forester CoAx.

If you want to try your hand at reloading...go to Lyman's website and buy a reconditioned Orange Crusher - about half price and is almost identical to the Rock Chucker.

On my bench is the following:

Lyman Spar T (small 6 hole turret press) - I only neck size and seat small calibers on this press - 17 Rem, 204, & 223.

Lyman T Mag (larger 6 hole turret press) - neck or full length size medium/larger calibers - 6.5x55, 270, 7.5x55.

Two Rock Chuckers

Forester CoAx - it is a lot quicker to set up and extremely quick to change calibers on. No shell holders to purchase either. Captures ALL spent primers. Can you tell that I like it? I purchased for $100 at a gunshow - could not get the money out quick enough.

Dillon 550 - for pistol (357 & 44 mag) and high volume 223. Deal was too good to pass up.....purchased used, but less than 500 rounds through it. Ammo loaded on this press has shown very good accuracy in a 223 bolt rifle.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Forgot - for volume trimming, I use the Lee cutter. Cheap and they work ok.

I prefer the Hornady powder measure because of the micrometer adjuster, baffle, and it is not priced out of this world. The Redding are great, but expensive. The RCBS Uniflow is good, but needs a baffle and a micrometer, which puts the price near the Redding.

My preference in case trimmers are the older RCBS with collets (way better quality than the newer style) and the Forster. I prefer the Forster because all of the accessories are 20-35% cheaper than any other brand. Can also neck turn brass with an accessory. Simple, reliable, and repeatable....oh...and cost effective.

Dial calipers - go to harbor freight tools dot com and buy their digital calipers for $15.99 - it is the SAME caliper numerous other companies sell for $35 - $50. I also have a true dial caliper as well.

Scale - my preference is the Hornady M. Longest beam of the reloading scales. About $50 is the cost. The RCBS/Ohaus/Lyman 10/10 or M5 are good as well, but expensive if purchased new ($120). The Dillon beam scale is very accurate as well - also $50.

Dies - I REALLY like the Redding three die sets, but, they can be expensive. Slowly upgrading to this brand in all rifle calibers.

I do watch the cost versus quality on everything.....because I only have so much funds every so often to spend.

My picks of what to buy:

Forster CoAx 229
Forster Trimmer 50
Redding Dies 75
Hornady Powder Measure 75
Hornady or Dillon scale 50
Frankford Arsenal tumbler/seperator (MidwayUsa) 60
Harbor Freight digital caliper 16
Stoney Point comparator (bullet and case tools) 40

So, if bought new, you are looking at $600 bones. Or...as suggested, go with the RCBS Supreme kit for under $300, add the digital calipers and stoney point gauges and you are good to go.

Except...buy a RELOADING LOG BOOK (3 ring binder) and keep an ACCURATE log of what you load. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST PURCHASE.

Second purchase - several reloading books. I have some old (1960's) to brand new.......

Good luck!
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

FWIW- Lee DOES make dies for the 204, they just don't make a length gauge for it. I'm using the Lee progressive and it works good. It might not be the best, but I'm getting low .3"s.
Savage12VLP

Post by Savage12VLP »

Thanks fellows. One other questions....why are Nosler brass so expensive? Are then better then Winchester, Ruger, Remington and federal. Do these companies all produce their own brass or do are they made at one place and only the name changes?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Nosler brass is on the high end because it comes pre-sorted, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, primer pockets uniformed, etc. It requires a lot less prep time. This is high quality brass, for sure. It's just too short.

If you think that's expensive, check out the Norma.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

While surfing/lurking in a long range forum the other day I read that Nosler brass is made by Federal and then prepped.
The few long rangers who tried it were impressed by the fact that after two loadings it automatically deprimes :)
Those guys do run hot.
Not sure if its really true though.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
bk63044

Post by bk63044 »

I do not think you can go wrong with the RCBS Rock Chucker supreme kit. Where I work we sell this press 5 to 1 of any other single stage press. I think the best die set for the money is the redding delux die set. It includes both a full length and a neck die with a pretty good seater.