Would you give up on this load? ( Pics)

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Re: inconsistant brass length

Post by Bergcrane2 »

sj63042 wrote::) hi i'm new here been cruising this site for about a month now. I find it very interesting and very informative. Thought I would join up last week and am finally posting. As to kirbymagnums last post-wouldnt variations in brass length cause inconsistent neck tension?Seems like that would be the deal since on the longer lengths you would have more neck gripping the bullet.
Not necesarrily. The angle of the shoulder could be compromised while the length of the neck is still the same. Each gun will fireform the case differently.

BTW-Welcome!
kirbymagnum

Re: Would you give up on this load? ( Pics)

Post by kirbymagnum »

I have given up on H4895 with Rem primers when using the 39 BK. Here is a five shot group of 39 BK on top of H4895.

Here is a three shot group with Varget using Rem 7 1/2 primers and 39 BK.

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

H 4895 + CCI 450 primers = SWEEET! try the 450's.......
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Ditto the CCI 450s with H4895 and 39BKs. Also with Rl 10x but not as much. Exactly what size groups were you expecting from a factory Remmy?
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Thanks for the help I will order some CCI BR4 and some CCI 450's.
Exactly what size groups were you expecting from a factory Remmy?
To be honest I have no clue, but after seeing what groups BLC (2) and Varget would produce I knew that my gun/components combonation didn't like H4895.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'd be tickled pink with ANY of those loads, frankly. Not many coyotes or PDs can get away from those sized groups, in any event, even with that "awful" H4895 :wink: . Either way, I'm happy if you're happy :eek: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

I'd be tickled pink with ANY of those loads, frankly. Not many coyotes or PDs can get away from those sized groups, in any event, even with that "awful" H4895 . Either way, I'm happy if you're happy .
You are right, I took out some targets that I shot with factory 32, 40, 45 Hornady, and 34 Winchester ammo and after seeing groups average from 1-1 1/2" at 100 yards I'm happy with my hand loads. I decided to measure factory ammunition and I was disgusted so I'm going to run them through the die to keep the C.O.L. close. I keep my ammunition within 0.001 of each other and factory ammo would measure from 2.238-2.255 for the 45 soft points and 2.247-2.256 for the V-Max.