Would you give up on this load? ( Pics)

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
kirbymagnum

Would you give up on this load? ( Pics)

Post by kirbymagnum »

The rifle is a Remington VS SF II with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24. I think I'm going to buy a jewell trigger and that might help my flyers, the factory trigger is brutal.

My load is 27.7 grains, Rem BR primer, and a 39BK with seating depth varying from 2.250-2.290. Would you keep playing with the seating depth or try a different component?

BlC (2) shot wonders in my gun with fed primers using the 39BK but its on order and I only have H 4895 and Varget to use. I don't think Varget would shoot that great with the 204 Ruger so I haven't tried it yet.

I always seem to have some sort of flyer. :x

Image[/img]

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Are those 3 shot groups?

Have considered tryinga five shot group?
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

RL10X

Post by Vartarg »

Have you had an opportunity to try Alliant's RL10X? I've been very satisfied with 25.1gr with the 39BK....your mileage may differ.....
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

Are those 3 shot groups?
Yes.
Have considered trying five shot group?
Not after seeing the three shot results. I'm starting to panic because i don't know if i will find a good load to shoot in the online shooting event.
Have you had an opportunity to try Alliant's RL10X? I've been very satisfied with 25.1gr with the 39BK....your mileage may differ.....
I will give that powder a try if i can find some. reloading supplies is limited here, I usually have to order from the city.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I'd probably try the first one again, with five shots.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I would give it another go or 2 . load 20 rounds,5 the same OAL as we see here, and 3 groups of 5 at different OAL's.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

How many rounds do you have through the gun? I have the same gun and wasn't really happy with it until I got 200+ rounds through it. I had the same flyer problem. I went with the RE 10X 25.3gr with a 39SBK and the flyers are pretty much gone. I had my trigger lightened to 2.25# and it breaks clean.
bk63044

Post by bk63044 »

I have found that my gun shoots well with Varget. I am shooting 39BK with 28 grains Varget. Out of my CZ I am getting under half inch groups.
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

How many rounds do you have through the gun?
I have about 700 rounds down the tube.
I have found that my gun shoots well with Varget.
I'm going to give Varget a try, as well as loading 5 shot groups of H 4895 and see how it works.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

When I get results like that top picture - I'm the culprit. Looks like three shots almost on top of each other and one way out to the right? Am I reading that right?

Rem 700 triggers are pretty easy to tune, and also very easy to replace. A good trigger can make a huge difference in group size.

Rem 700's in HS Precision stocks sometimes respond well to a "skim bed" or "skin bed" job (term varies by riflesmith). One of mine had a wandering zero problem until Jim Cloward did a "skim bed" job on it - and has been wonderfully consistent and accurate since.

At a minimum, make sure the action screws are all snugged down properly, preferably with an inch-pound torque wrench.

Also worth checking the scope mounts and rings for tightness.

How does factory ammo do through the same rifle? It can be a good truth teller, letting you know if it's a handload problem, or a rifle problem.

Remington bores are notoriously rough. Generally accurate, but all of my recent factory Remingtons have had rough bores that fouled easily. Fouling can really mess with accuracy - I think even more so with a small, high intensity cartridge like the .204 Ruger.

Am assuming these are 100 yard groups? If so - the main group is pretty good. What, maybe a half inch center to center?

Just thoughts... Guy
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Another issue I had, I did a bonehead thing. When I put Loctite on the screws for the scope bases, I put a tad too much on, and I got a small layer between the base and the reciever. I was having dual POI's. Took me a while to figure it out. All's well now.
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

When I get results like that top picture - I'm the culprit. Looks like three shots almost on top of each other and one way out to the right? Am I reading that right?

Two shots almost on top of each other and the third shot out. I have a hard time thinking that its the load too, if two shots will go in one hole why wouldn't the third one? Probably because the stiff trigger makes me pull. ( Sometimes I start shaking when i squeeze the trigger its so hard to pull)
Rem 700's in HS Precision stocks sometimes respond well to a "skim bed" or "skin bed" job
Is that the same thing as bedding the action?

How does factory ammo do through the same rifle?
I can beat factory ammo with BLC (2) powder but I'm having a hard time with H4895.

When I put Loctite on the screws for the scope bases, I put a tad too much on, and I got a small layer between the base and the receiver
I don't think that is the problem but I will check it out.
kirbymagnum

Post by kirbymagnum »

If my brass length has different lengths ( but are in specs) would this affect accuracy? ( Even if my C.O.A.L. is the same)
sj63042

inconsistant brass length

Post by sj63042 »

:) hi i'm new here been cruising this site for about a month now. I find it very interesting and very informative. Thought I would join up last week and am finally posting. As to kirbymagnums last post-wouldnt variations in brass length cause inconsistent neck tension?Seems like that would be the deal since on the longer lengths you would have more neck gripping the bullet.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Welcome to the forum SJ!! :D
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up