Arbor Press ??

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

Arbor Press ??

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Anybody using a Arbor press for reloading. If so how do you like it. I plan on using it for bullet seating only. We'll save the sizing for the Forster. I kinda like the Sinclair press. It Looks rigid enough to seat bullets. :chin:.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Arbor Press ??

Post by skipper »

I've got a K&M on the way. It might be a little wait though. I ordered the Wilson Stainless Inline Micrometer seating die. You can buy the K&M with the strain gauge option. Then you'll know how much seating pressure you're applying. I'll let you know as soon as all the parts get here.

You might as well spring for the K&M, Hawkeye. You know you only have to buy the best, once.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Skipper
How much with the strain gauge?? Is it on backorder or w.i.p. (work in progress).
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

skipper

Post by skipper »

Apparently he has had some medical problems and is working frantically to fill orders. The basic press was $85 and the gauge was another $50.
msphotog
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Custom built AR-15

Post by msphotog »

I've got a Harrell arbor press that I like a lot. I'm using it with a Wilson seating die(non-micrometer), and I swear it cut my groups in half. I really like the way the bullet has to seat straight. I'm pretty sure that the one Sinclair sells is just a re-badged Harrell. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Mark S.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I'm using an arbor press made by Russ Haydon, owner of Russ Haydon's Shooter's Supply out of Gig Harbor, WA. His Web URL with the arbor press on it should be at this link: http://www.shooters-supply.com/reloading_equipment.html

I only use this press for resizing my casings using Wilson neck sizing dies with Redding bushings in them. I don't have any Wilson seating dies.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks!

Silverfox
Any chance we could get a picture of that Haydon unit?
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

dch

Post by dch »

I have a Sinclair arbor press and I like it
Drew
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)--sorry I didn't get these posted sooner, but I am not visiting these Web sites very often. Anyway, here are several photos of the Haydon Arbor press:

Here's the press from the right side with no die in place:

Same side with a Wilson neck sizing die in place:

Left side view:

Front view:

Here's the base showing the slot the insert fits into with the base--the base insert is on the left. I have another, shorter base, but I use this taller one under my neck sizing dies. Normally, I have to turn the die upside down and use the press to get the casing out of the die. The tall base is necessary to give the mandrel that pushes out the primer some room before it hits the loading bench. There is also enough room at the bottom of that base insert for spent primers to gather there. However, I always deprime my casings with a universal decapping die so I don't get primer residue, etc. inside my Wilson neck sizing dies.

Here is the Allen wrench in the bolt that is used for loosening and tightening the top onto the vertical rod when you need to make vertical adjusments for various calibers:

This press is very heavy and works flawlessly for me. There's really not a whole lot that can go wrong with an arbor press!!! I have never used any other arbor press, so I can't make any comments on how it compares to other arbor presses.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Silverfox wrote:
This press is very heavy and works flawlessly for me. There's really not a whole lot that can go wrong with an arbor press!!! .

The only thing I see that could go wrong is getting a crushed finger :lol: . Thanks!!!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

skipper

Post by skipper »

I got my K&M arbor press today. I ordered it from Keith Hagen of Precision Reloading. He had the press unassembled. He assembled it for me at no cost and got it in the mail about as quick as any mail order firm. I also bought the Mitutoyo dial gauge from Keith. This is a rather expensive gauge that he gave me a great discount on. Precision Reloading used to be a shotgun reloading outlet. Keith said he bought them out a couple of years ago and has expanded into rifles and other reloading equipment. He was very helpful and earned my respect and business.

I didn't order from Ken (K&M) because he seems too busy filling orders. Keith, on the other hand had the press ready to ship and said he is getting more very soon.

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I went with the Sinclair press because another weekend without shooting hand loads in my 6.5 /284 would drive me nuts. :loco: I picked up a Wilson mic seater in 204 and the standard for my 6.5/284. Just pulled a 5 hour shift in the reload room. It's miller time :pals: Thats a 6.5/284 with a 140gr Berger next to a 35 Berger in 204.

Skipper
That little pressure gauge is slick.

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

skipper

Post by skipper »

The pressure gauge is set up so that a .001 deflection equals 1 pound of seating pressure. It makes it real easy to determine seating force and consistency.

That 6.5 looks like a lot of bearing surface. What twist is your barrel?
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

It's a 1-8 twist. I'll know how they fly in in a few hours. Berger recomends a 1-9 for the 140 VLD. The bearing surface is .500 long. I'm loaded up and ready to hit the range. It's 42 degrees here with NO wind. I think I might shoot my postal targets today.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Great reports, and photos...thanks! I ordered a Harrell press last Tuesday am, and a .204 Wilson Mic seater die from Sinclair at the same time. I got the Sinclair order on Thursday, but Harrell hasn't yet charged my card, so I doubt it's shipped. I called Thursday and was told that it was going out that day, USPS Priority. We'll see,and I'll update. I've got that: "I should'a had V8" feeling! :wall:

It's tough to beat an outfit like Sinclair when it comes to service, though the Harrell's price was lower......

Trying to be patient in the Bayou State....George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower