Bullet seating depth and velocity

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
jwv

Bullet seating depth and velocity

Post by jwv »

I've been reloading for my handi rifle and have had good success with the 39 grain Sierra blzk. and getting 1/2" groups, which is fine. The 32 grain Sierra has proven to be harder to get the same as what I got with the factory 32 grain Hornadys they were 1/2" or less.
My question is as one seats the bullets out farther each time does one lose more velocity? I don't have a chronograph so I have no way of knowing if there is a loss or not. Does anybody have any thoughts on this. Thanks, Jack
We sleep safe in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on those who would do us harm.---George Orwell
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Bullet seating depth and velocity

Post by glenn asher »

There SHOULD be some velocity loss due to "added" case capacity, but that's probably going to be countered by increased pressures if you jam it in the lands. Altogether, it may turn out to be a wash, it's really, really hard to say without running some tests to find out, and then, it would only be for the rifle involved................
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jwv

Re: Bullet seating depth and velocity

Post by jwv »

Thanks Glenn, I don't seat out to the lands and always try and stay about .030 off of them. In my younger and more reckless days I would seat my bullets out to just touching the lands.Never had a problem in doing that, but I don't do it anymore. The gun I am shooting is okay for what it is , but I am saving my pennies and change for a cz or a Remington.The one thing about a 204 is for the most part they are very accurate in most all makes. The sticky on favorite loads is a great help and can save anyone a lot of time by going there first. Good stuff
Thanks again, Jack
We sleep safe in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on those who would do us harm.---George Orwell