Cleaning Dies

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Cleaning Dies

Post by Vartarg »

I've read here and other places about cleaning new dies before using them. I just got a Wilson Micrometer Seating Die and Harrell arbor press. I'd appreciate some comments and suggestions on what to use to clean it, and how. Thanks. In the past, I"ve just gone ahead and put'em to work. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Cleaning Dies

Post by glenn asher »

I usually take the decapping assembly out of the die, (or seating stem) and give them a squirt or two of Gunscrubber or carb cleaner (BE SURE TO WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN DOING SO) let them dry and reassemble them, it's basic stuff to get the preservatives out of them, since the diemakers don't know how long they'll sit on a shelf. Wilsons might not require this, since they are more likely to sell when ordered (small makers can get away with more, when stuff is custom ordered).
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My Wilson dies are the first without any chips from machining. Always disassemble and clean before use. The Winson Stainless are nonmagnetic (probably 300 series). With a low Iron content ,rust will not be a issue. A light coat of Dow Corning Die/electric grease works well on moving parts.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

I've always used break clean to clean my dies. It's pretty much like carb cleaner and it dose a real good job.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Thanks for the feedback. Any other suggestions on what to lube the die with after cleaning?
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower