trouble finding good load

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
bohe

trouble finding good load

Post by bohe »

I just got a new CZ 527 American in .204.I tried a bunch of loads with Calhoon 33 gr. and Berger 35 gr. bullets trying to work up a good load.I have been using H4895 & Benchmark.The tightest I got the Bergers was about 1" and the Calhoons were 1.5"(@100).Does anyone have any suggestions?I don't recall offhand how deep I was seating them,but so they just fit into the mag.
Thanks Guys
Lee C.

Re: trouble finding good load

Post by Lee C. »

bohe, You didn't say how much h4895 you were useing with the 35gr. berger bullets. My load is up at 28.1 grs. of powder for the 35gr. bullet witch gives a real nice group.

And most of the 204s like that big jump to the lands. I'm useing a seating of 2.263 oal. I tryed seating out long but this is where my gun shoots the best. I always start at what the book says and move it out untell i fine the right spot that the gun likes. Have fun and let us know how thing go for ya.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Bohe, Your starting with two very good powders for the 204. Maybe a primer or bullet(39 Sierra BK) change is in order?? Don't forget the rifle is new and it might come around when you get 100+ rounds down the pipe. If your have confidence in your reloading skills, I would give it a little more time.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

http://www.rugerhunting.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=4&t=165

If you can't find a good load your rifle likes in this thread, you've got a REALLY, REALLY fussy rifle :D I'm betting something or other in that mix will make your rifle shoot well. If not, time to check the crown and bedding...................

My CZ seems to like 205M primers over all others, which may, or may not, mean anything at all.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

the first question I have is, did you break in the barrel, or did you just start shooting? barrel break in is a key factor in shooting good groups, no matter what components you are trying. cz's are very accurate rifles. also, no mention of cleaning process, how often, before shooting groups. remember to foul the barrel before shooting a group, if you start with a clean barrel. as stated by hawkeye joe, maybe you just need to shoot more to get the gun to shoot better.
my howa took around 150 rounds before it started shooting better groups. and don't be afraid of a long bullet jump, the 204 is not really picky with a long bullet jump. besides, with most factory rifles, you won't be able to get that close to the lands in a 204 anyway.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
lakota
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by lakota »

Hello, this is my first post here. I have a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger and I was having trouble finding a decent load too. After about 100 rounds my new gun started to "settle in" and is shooting decent groups now. My best groups so far are with 26.8 grains of BenchMark and the 32 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, R-P 7 1/2 Benchrest primer and R-P cases. I just decided to take one bullet and one powder start at the minimum charge and load 3 rounds bump the charge up 2/10 grain and load three more until I reached the max charge. I've got five different bullets and 3 different powders so it may take me awhile to work up loads in this manner, but hey it is fun! :D
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Lakota, that's a wise method of workup, slow and easy saves the rifles and the eyes, glad you could make it here. You'll fit in nicely with this easy going crowd.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I'm working up a load right now with Dog Towns using IMR 4895 starting at 27.3 grains. Have 4 groups loaded up at different OAl's. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot next Sat. Have fun
lakota

Post by lakota »

greystone wrote:I'm working up a load right now with Dog Towns using IMR 4895 starting at 27.3 grains. Have 4 groups loaded up at different OAl's. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot next Sat. Have fun
Greystone, have you noticed any problems with some of your Dogtown bullets seeming to be undersized? I bought a box, and I have had problems with some of them just dropping right down into the case with little to no resistance with neck sized brass. All of my other bullets seat snug with my sizer set the way it is. I dont have a micrometer, or I would measure them.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

lakota wrote:I dont have a micrometer, or I would measure them.
lakota, you really need to get a caliper. If you don't know how to read one, learn, or get a digital caliper. there are a lot of things when reloading, that you will use, or need a caliper. do yourself a favor, the caliper will aid you in keeping you a little safer, and more consistent in the reloading endeaver that you have chosen. keep it safe and reloading is really an enjoyable hobby.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
ulen mn

Post by ulen mn »

I just got a new CZ 527 American in .204

I have a CZ 527 Varmint and it took around 75 to 100 rounds of factory ammo before it settled down and produced tight groups. It really likes hornady 32gn over 26.2gn RL 10X with BR-4 primers and I am working up 39 sierra bkbt with 26.5gn of H4895 and BR-4 primers. for the most part give your barrel time to settle in and I'm sure that you will find a good load that it likes.
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
lakota

Post by lakota »

futuretrades wrote:
lakota wrote:I dont have a micrometer, or I would measure them.
lakota, you really need to get a caliper. If you don't know how to read one, learn, or get a digital caliper. there are a lot of things when reloading, that you will use, or need a caliper. do yourself a favor, the caliper will aid you in keeping you a little safer, and more consistent in the reloading endeaver that you have chosen. keep it safe and reloading is really an enjoyable hobby.
I have a set of Lyman dial calipers, but for some reason I always thought I needed a mic to measure the diameter of bullets. Probably something someone told me when I first started :? I'll have to check some of those Dog Towns
greystone

Post by greystone »

lakota wrote:
greystone wrote:I'm working up a load right now with Dog Towns using IMR 4895 starting at 27.3 grains. Have 4 groups loaded up at different OAl's. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot next Sat. Have fun
Greystone, have you noticed any problems with some of your Dogtown bullets seeming to be undersized? I bought a box, and I have had problems with some of them just dropping right down into the case with little to no resistance with neck sized brass. All of my other bullets seat snug with my sizer set the way it is. I dont have a micrometer, or I would measure them.
No problem now. I'm useing new Remington brass that I fl sized and the bullets seated normally. After I get these cases fired I'm gonna neck size. I'll check a few tonight to see how they measure.
greystone

Post by greystone »

lakota wrote:
Yup you need some sort of calipers. Mine sits along side of me every time I'm at the reloading bench. I couldn't work without it. Anyhow since my last post I measured 20 bullets with my digital and they all measured exactly .203". I was kind of impressed with that.
When did you buy the Dog Town's? The reason I'm asking is because some of the earlier ones had some problems-at least thats what I've heard on another forum. I just received mine last week and so far so good. Haven't shot one tho yet-thats the true test. Good luck
greystone

Post by greystone »

I just checked some 35 grain Bergers and they all measure .204. So the Dog Towns are slightly smaller in diameter by .001"