Reloading kits

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Gmetme
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber .204 Ruger

Reloading kits

Post by Gmetme »

Hi fellas, I've tried a search on here, but haven't really found what I'm after. I'm new to reloading.(I used to reload my shotshells though, for Trap, years ago!!) I now have a Kimber Varmint .204, and am looking to reload.
I'm starting to look at what sort of gear I need, and probably buy a "kit" for a start. I've seen the 'Hornady Classic kit' on their website, but not any other manufacturers yet. I'm aware of all the great info on this site, but could I please have your thoughts on what a good quality kit would be, as a basis for hopefully years of reloading this great calibre.
So far, after break-in etc, this rifle seems to prefer the 39 to 45 gr bullets,the 45g seeming more consistant(probably just me!!) although the Wincester 34g seemed ok at times too. I'd like to be more accurate with the 32's, so rabbits don't get so totalled :eek: when hit..naaah, I'd just like the 32's to be more accurate if possible in this rifle. Thoughts? Cheers.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Reloading kits

Post by Hotshot »

If you read the previous pages on this 204 reloading and the general reloading topics, you will find a wealth of advice to previous beginners asking this same question. Kits are okay, but with some sound advice from experienced reloaders you may put together your own kit and like the results better.

First thing. How are you going to use your rifle? Plink a few bunnies at 75 to 250 yards, hundreds of shots at a time in prairie dog towns, occasional fun competitions, or serious target shooting every other weekend?

Second thing. What are you satisfied with for accuracy? 3/4 inch at 100, 3/8 inch at 200, Hit an egg most of the time at 300, shoot prairie dogs out to 600 yards?

Read up and give us some more info about what you want to accomplish with your loads and we'll help you get started right.

P.S. Check with me first before following advice from acloco and don't tell him I said that.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I would highly recommend the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press. It comes as a starter kit through Midway and several other companies. You'll pass that down to your kids and they will pass it down to theirs.

Even with all the accessories that come with the kit, you,re still going to need a lot of specialized stuff for the .204 Ruger:
Case Trimmer, .20 caliber pilot and shell holder
Primer Pocket uniformer
Flash Hole Deburring Tool
Shell Holders for your press (RCBS or Redding #10)
Full Length Sizing Die
Seating die (Redding or Forster will fit the RCBS press)(sliding sleeve design is the way to go)
Powder funnel
Primer tool

This will just get you started. Once you get bit by the accuracy bug, you'll be back to get more gear. Do yourself a favor. Buy quality gear from the start. It sure beats having to go back and replace the stuff you already have. For instance, The Redding and Forster Competition series seating dies are hard to beat and will seat your bullets with little or no run out. A good Wilson case trimmer with the Sinclair micrometer upgrade will cost more initially but will be with you for a lifetime. Do your homework and buy once. There are plenty of people who will steer you in the right direction. I would even say to buy the majority of your gear from Sinclairs. They carry top of the line equipment.

We're always happy to spend your money for you. Seriously, buy the right equipment the first time. It's cheaper in the long run.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

I agree with skipper on this one. RCBS kits are very high quality and will last a life time. When buying dies though I would highly recommend Redding. They're not much more money but definately worth the extra cost. HTH.
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Gmetme

Post by Gmetme »

Thanks Guys, I get the drift. I only buy quality when I can, and when reloading, I think this is necessary.
I'm not in the U.S., and so the gear I need may not be as easily obtained, although it must be available. I have to look some more.
Factory loads can be quite expensive ( all approx, and in US $)eg:Hornady 45g SP about $27,Wincester 34g JHP $37,Remington 40 g Accutip-V Boattail $40, Federalv-shock 39g(sierra blitzking) $29, Sellior & Bellot 32g $25. All boxes of 20. Any/all of these not always available, and if they are, then often a hassle getting them.
Most of my targets are from 80-250 yds, and range from rabbits, turkeys, and Feral Goats. I won't take a shot at a goat unless using the 45gr Hornady's though. They knock them down easily enough with a well placed shot, and I don't shoot them over 100 yds at present.
Rabbits and Turkeys would be better dealt to with the 32/gr range. The win34 is ok on 'em all, goats with near shots to 80 odd yds.(so far). I'm getting on average up to 1.5" groups at 100 with the 32's and usually a couple of 2" fliers, and 1" @ 100 with 39,40,45. All shot at targets using just a bi-pod and shoulder. These are all probably ok in the real World, but getting the price down, and shrinking the '32s' grouping(and the others of course :wink: ) would be the "aim".(npi)
Cheers.
skipper

Post by skipper »

By my calculations

Cost of Reloading

Brass – Winchester 21.49/100 = $.21/case
Bullets – 32gr. Sierra BlitzKing $19.99/100 = $.20/bullet
Primer – Remington Small Rifle Benchrest Primers #7 ½ $26.49/1000 = $.03/primer
Powder – Alliant Reloader 10X Smokeless Powder $18.99/lb. (1 oz. = 437.5 gr.) = $.07/26gr. (load w/ 32 gr. bullet)

Cost per round on first loading of new brass:
.21 Brass
.20 Bullet
.03 Primer
.07 Powder
$.51/ Round = $10.20/ Box of 20 rounds

Cost every time the same brass is reloaded:
.20 Bullet
.03 Primer
.07 Powder
$.30/ Round = $6.00/ Box of 20 rounds

How much did you say you were paying??? It makes sense to reload. Let me rephrase that, it PAYS to reload.
Gmetme

Post by Gmetme »

Skipper,( and all) that puts things in perspective, thanks. Looks like I'll have to go on and do it...but that also means I'll have to shoot more..oh darn :D :D .
I also have an old Remington Model 25 slide action in 25-20WCF I inherited from my Dad,and hope to get some brass and projectiles for this and load 'em up, but more from nostalgia than much use. I've not fired this gun..only have 4 rounds for it.. looks like a bit of fun coming up!!
It's perfectly servicable - I've had it checked out by a good Gunsmith,and all is good but will remain in the cabinet as a momento, but always will be nice to be able to take it and fire it time to time.
Looks like the wallet will be taking a bit of a thrashing soon :D .
Thanks.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

.25/20 ammo is still in production, on a limited basis, I think. Check with Starline for component brass, they seem to be making anything and everything these days. I seem to remember Marlin making some 1894CLs in limited runs in the past 10 years, so ammo should still be available.
Handloading is a fine hobby, in and of itself, not to mention it allows old and oddball rifles to be used again, at considerable savings, also. You will get a lot of enjoyment out of your new hobby-to-be. :D
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

It sounds as if your gun enjoys the heavies. Don't forget to buy some 40gn Bergers.
Awesome accuracy potential and they kill critters in all sizes. They cost a little more but thier performance is worth it.

Last year I got my grandfathers old 25-20 up and running again. I bought some Winchester brass and 75gn Speers were on sale. Cheap Lee dies are good enough IMO

Watch for lead in the barrel. A lot of the old ammo was lead bullets and getting it out was a real chore.
I recently overheard some CBA shooters discussing Turpentine and Kerosene for removing lead???

Don't be afraid to use that old gun when you get the urge. Its awful hard to burn out a 25-20 barrel :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Not only what everyone has said but there is the fun aspect to it also. Shooting and reloading for me are two hobbies that perpetuate each other. Empty cases need to be reloaded and reloaded cases need to be shot :D What could be better? Dave
skipper

Post by skipper »

It's the cycle of life. I like it, too.
Gmetme

Post by Gmetme »

The fun aspect of it is definately a part of it. I finally have space to dedicate a room, with a cleaning bench at the one end, and a reloading bench at the other, to more enjoy the sport/pastime/obsession; call it what you will :D .There's still plenty of room betwwen so I'll be able to rig/re-rig gamefish lures and all the other fishing gear One accumulates over the years...
My Wife still seems to be living with the misconception that we'll be having an additional guest room (the room was our Sons'). Life's hard.
I'm looking forward to reloading, the learning curve part of the old brain needs a bit of a rattle along.. :D :D
Thanks Guys...
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

My reloading room also used to be a bedroom. You should see the stuff in there now! :D . It's where I spend most of my time-my little hangout. I'm in there right now as a matter of fact. Dave