39g Sierra BK and M77 Target Grey

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

39g Sierra BK and M77 Target Grey

Post by rpknaz »

I am just starting to reload and have help from a friend who has reloaded for years. He is not familer with loading the .204. I have the Ruger M77 Target Grey. I have read here that the 40gr tend to keyhole in this gun and was wonder if the 39g Sierra BK do the same? I tried to run a search, but I did not see what I was looking for. Did find some great info in the favorite load thread. Thanks for the info and help, Rich.
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: 39g Sierra BK and M77 Target Grey

Post by skipper »

Your .204 will either love the 40s or despise them. It seems to be a crap shoot. Most rifles, however, seem to love the 39 gr. Sierra BKs. I would start with those.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I have a M77 Target Grey and it loves 27.7 grains of H 4895. OAL of 2.3 inches. Using 39 grain SBK's. Try it you will like it.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

Post by Steve V »

My Ruger 77 V/T shoots 40 gr VMax bullets real well. 28 gr of IMR 4895, 205 Fed primers, Hornady brass. Killed about a bagillion pds with this load last June. I may own a fluke in this Ruger, because it shoots Nosler 40 Ballistic tips and Sierra 39 BlitzKings well, also. On the other hand, my CZ 204 Varmint shoots 39 Sierras superbly, but does not like the Nosler or Hornady 40 gr bullets at all.
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

Thanks for the help guys, it is appreciated and I will try your recipes. :D
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

If you are having problems with accuracy, measure the distance to the lands, and then move your bullets seating depth around and see what happens.

Many of the factory rifles have long throats, and seating the bullet out from the manuals overall length, will help bullet stability and accuracy tremendously.

There was a thread a while back where one of the guys gave details on making a test case by splitting the neck on a sized case. I neck size only, and then seat a bullet just enough to keep it in the neck, and then push it into the chamber by hand. This seems to get me close.