204 case trimming preferences

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
kasual1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

204 case trimming preferences

Post by kasual1 »

What do most people on this site use for trimming cases on their 204s?

I have been getting by with using the Lee hand trimmers for all my other calibers, but haven't seen the 204 Lee hand trimmer available.
I won't be doing any high volume trimmer usage and I have .224, .277, .284 and .308 cals as well.

I have used the Lyman hand trimmer for a bit, but did not find a way to set it up for various cartridge lengths without using calipers each time. Is there a trimmer that somehow saves your settings? What have you used as a technique to return to a setting for a particular cartridge?

This is one of the things I liked about using the Lee hand trimmers... just a fixed length shaft and no adjustments required.

Thanks...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 204 case trimming preferences

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I reload for over 30 calibers, and in all the years I've been handloading, my Forester case trimmer has never let me down. I've tried others, always come back to the Forester. With this trimmer, you can trim, outside neck turn, ream, hollow-point bullets, and other tasks not suited to the generic trimmers.

The Wilson unit is very good, but slow, and the case holders are a pain (to me) fired vs. unfired, etc. Don't need that. The Forester is quick to set up, and also has a power option for a power screwdriver. I built a chip tray for mine, and it eliminates any mess on the bench.

This is my Forester set up for outside neck turning .17 Mach IV cases (from 221FB cases):

For saving your settings, make up a bunch of "guage cases" that are trimmed to your target length, just put one in, adjust the cutter to zero, and wha-la, you're set up to your original trim length once again. Simple, easy, fast.

This question is like asking "Chevy vs. Ford"......you'll get lots of opinions.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Rick in Oregon is right, I used the Forster case trimmer for thirty years. Then tried the RCBS, no better, no worse, sort of ho hum. Then bought a Hornady case trimmer looking for the ideal trimmer. The only good part about the Hornady is that it uses the same shell holder for trimming you use in the press. That's good because no additional collets are needed to hold the case. The bad part is that you gotta buy a bunch of Hornady shell holders because the depriming hole is larger to allow the clamping pin to pass through. They work in the other brand presses though. So, I sill find myself bringing out the Forster trimmer for inside neck reaming and occasional neck turning, it's a much more versatile tool.

Then there are file type case trimming dies you use in the press, but that's another story about calloused thumbs and dull files.

In fact, since I retired and began shooting varmints regularly, those red Forster die boxes are adding a lot more spice to a sea of light and dark green boxes. Good stuff.
kasual1

Post by kasual1 »

You are both confirming my direction...

I bought the Forster BR dies and was considering the Forster case trimmer.
Found this on Midway. Is this what you would recommend?
I don't want to buy the wrong one.
The description does not indicate that you could optionally use a cordless drill on the unit.

Original Forster Case Trimmer :
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=614276

What components will I need to get with it to start trimming 204s?

i.e. shell holder, collet, pilot etc.

I am guessing just a 20 cal pilot... Correct?

I am not familiar with what a collet is or what is required.

Thanks for your help,
Karl
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, that's the basic unit alrighty. Many options available for these units.

PM sent
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Might consider a "Possum Hollow" case trimmer as well.....if you have a LOT of cases to do.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I use the Forster too. To turn it into a power unit all you have to do is to unscrew the handle and replace it with 2 half inch fine threaded nuts locked together. A half inch nut driver in your cordless and you're set
kasual1

Post by kasual1 »

acloco wrote:Might consider a "Possum Hollow" case trimmer as well.....if you have a LOT of cases to do.
I looked at their site and it didn't look like 204 Ruger was supported. I might get one for my .223 Bushmaster Varminter though.

http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/kwi ... mmers.html
K22

Post by K22 »

I use a Redding 1400.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Here's the info for trimmers and parts for .204 Ruger. When searching on the Forster site don't type the decimal point in the cartridge name i.e. 204 Ruger.

Trimmer: CT 1010 or PT1010
Collet:CT201
Pilot: CT1020
Neck Reamer: #204, NR1204
Neck Turner Pilot: OT2204
Neck Turner Accessory:OT1010
Hand Held Turner Pilot: HOT22204
Hand Hels Turner: HOT100

Now go forth and keep trim! :D
kasual1

Post by kasual1 »

Thanks to all!
I have gleaned good info and will make an informed decision now.
I might have to wait for my next paycheck to justify it though.

I will do my best to keep trim in 2010!

Karl :)
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

If you have a drill press,you might take a look at the Forster power trimmer.Should go through many cases without much trouble,but I wouldn't go out and buy a drill press unless I needed it for other work first.I use a Wilson for all my trimmimg,and set up a power driver instead of the crank.The Sinclair sells a chamber length gage ($7), which is easy to use,and keeps you from trimming too much off,as the loading manuals would tell you.I had to turn down the collar on my .204 gage because it was around .235,and would not go in the neck.I chucked it up in a drill and turned the collar down with a fine file and stone to .229 as I remember.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

kasual1 wrote:
acloco wrote:Might consider a "Possum Hollow" case trimmer as well.....if you have a LOT of cases to do.
I looked at their site and it didn't look like 204 Ruger was supported. I might get one for my .223 Bushmaster Varminter though.

http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/kwi ... mmers.html
These index on the shoulder, so, just adjust the carbide cutter depth for your 223 cutter.
wtdew
.204 Ruger Guns: Hawkeye Left hand .201

Post by wtdew »

I just happened to stumble on this post. I've been using the Forster for 35 or so years. And you just can't beat it. I also use the fine nuts (2) and one of those cheap $6.00 electric screwdrivers to trim. The guys before me have given you the very best info about the Forster. I do all they talk about ... trim and neck turn and even hollow point. Once you get the various "parts" you are set. I have added one at a time over the years and the latest is the .204.

You have been given good advice.
Best regards,
Dew
hrlevi
.204 Ruger Guns: Remmington 700 ADL

Post by hrlevi »

I just purchased the Frankfort Arsenal Platinum Series Case trimmer and prep system. It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow - I’ll let the group know how i like it once I use it a little - it got glowing reviews so we shall see!