new to reloading help

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
volquartsen1
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger custom thumb hole stock-nikon monarch 5.5x16.6x44

new to reloading help

Post by volquartsen1 »

i just bought 2000 rounds of hornady casings -- what powder should I use an primers? is that all i need-- me an my buddy went in an bought everything-- his buddy game him all this reloading stuff to use-- were just new to this an had a few questions----
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: new to reloading help

Post by Jim White »

The 1st thing I would do is buy a Reloading book and read it over. We all must remember, we're dealing with explosives and people can get hurt.

Also, regardng primers, powder, cases and bullets the manual as well as this site here provides a wealth of information.

To me a firearm is a tool, some are used for this and some are used for that.

HTH,
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

v-1,

Read a manual. Find an experienced reloader to give you a demonstration or buy a tape from MidwayUSA that shows step-by-step procedure. Experiment with some loads to find a good one for your rifle. Then load 2000 of them and go have a lot of fun.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Another thing;

- Make sure your loads are within both the MIN and MAX charges.
spacewelder
.204 Ruger Guns: Lothar Walther AR-15, CZ American 204, Rem 700 204, ETC

Post by spacewelder »

Amen guys! If it were me I would be reading and asking as many questions as I can! It takes some smarts when it comes to reloading. DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST! I have seen many firearms BLOW UP due to the fact that the guy did not really take the time to do it right. Go onto U-Tube and you will see many videos! Not to scare you, I just want everyone to be safe! If you go and put a double charge of powder in a firearm you are going to get an experience you will not soon forget. Patience is the key! Take your time and triple check everything!
Remeber: READ and Measure everything three times!
After that: Go and have fun!
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Here's an on-line tutorial with pics to give you and idea of whats involved. Good luck. It's an addicting hobby
http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/guide.html
volquartsen1
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger custom thumb hole stock-nikon monarch 5.5x16.6x44

Post by volquartsen1 »

thanks that is really helpful on my part-- thank you----
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

After you read a manual (a couple of times).....Keep in mind that you are dealing with a relatively small case and work up your initial loads .1 or .2gr increments at a time....some manuals will refer to .5gr increments, but those comments are usually reserved for larger cases...

Don't load more than 100 cases at any given time and preferably 50, as if you find you have an error, plan ahead on how many you will need to pull to make a correction.

Once you develop the correct load for your rifle, then load as many as you think you will shoot during the temperature that they were loaded....some powders can be really temperature sensitive and will build excessive pressure if loaded in the Winter and shot in the Summer...

I usually keep several hundred cases prepped and primed, waiting until just before I'm going shooting to charge and seat the bullets,,,,as that part of the loading process doesn't take very long..
AR
Factory/Factory