204 RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Griffy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

204 RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter

Post by Griffy »

Hi, I thought I would ask whether I should invest in one of the above to speed up the brass prep process. Currently I am using the RCBS Trim Pro and manual tools (VLD deburring) to chamfer the edges. I am open to other recommendations to speed up this process.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: 204 RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter

Post by BabaOriley »

I use the .20cal 3-way cutter on a powered Trim Pro. It may not save much time, as I can only do about 3 cases per minute. I think I leave the cutter engaged a little longer than I would without the 3-way cutter just to make sure the case mouths get done consistently. I'd use one for all calibers, not for speed, but for consistency. The Trim Mate or hand held tools I've used seem much more open to human error, cutting too little or not enough when deburring/chamfering. I always question my ability to actually hold the case straight on a power tool while performing these operations. I like the RCBS 3-way cutter. We can't all have a Giraud.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: 204 RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter

Post by futuretrades »

I agree with most of what BabaOreily said. my only exception would be the amount of time involved it takes to finish each round. I have been using the rcbs 3 way trimmers on my 204 cases and my 223 cases for over 4 years now. I also am using the powered Trim pro. After I got everything adjusted, I keep a pilot case for each caliber, so I can adjust the trim length with out having to readjust everything each time I change calibers. I can usually trim about 8 to 10 cases per minute. I have examined a few cases from each batch, every time I trim, under a magnifying glass. The consistency is really good every time. This is just my experience, and of course my opinion on this tool.

When I trim cases, I usually do anywhere from 100 to 500 cases at a time! :eew:

Case prep is definately not my favorite part of reloading, but as we all know, it is something that has to be done!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.