Electronic powder dipencers

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Electronic powder dipencers

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Has anyone used the new Hornady or the Smartreloader iSD Automatic Powder Scale & Dispensers? I have a RCBS 1500 and familiar with the Lyman dispensers. Curios about the new ones as I have not heard anything about either one of them.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Electronic powder dipencers

Post by Ray P »

Sidewinderwa.............I have a PACT scale and powder dispenser combo.......I realy like with any stick powder. It didn't like H380 in the dispenser. The ball powder got in between the drop tubes and bushings and brought it to a stop. I got all the ball out and it works like a champ. I use a Lyman #55 powder dispenser for all my all ball powders that I use.
Hope this helps a little.
PS. I liked the PACT warrenty and ITS made here USA.
Ray P :mrgreen:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Thanks for the comment Ray. The RCBS will load all types of powder. The smaller powders, like Ramshot loads very quickly. I work in a sporting goods store at the gun counter and am interested in the new stuff for better customer service and of course, always looking for something better.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Sidewinderwa........No problem! I think PACT was one of the 1st and price was right, followed by Lyman eletronic scale and measure. I haven't looked at any others.
My model had a small issue that was up gradeable. You could only key in charge weights up 99.9 grains on the powder dispenser. I only have one case that goes over 100 granis my 338/378 WBY Imp.
We have guys here in Pa at the 1000 yard bench rest club using pharmaetical grade scales to weigh, primers, bullets, brass and powder charges..........go figure.
Good luck on being more knowlegable and helping out the customer.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

Little bump to the top.......

Anybody used the new Hornady electronic dispenser yet? Price is a bit more appealing than the RCBS.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

What little I have been able to find out,they can be set faster,depending on type of powder and amount of load.Apparently the speed change is when the slow trickle comes in.I have A lyman DPS 3,and it does a great job on all powders,but you need to wait even when seating bullets,and on auto dispense,for any load over 25, grains.If you have reason to call Sinclair,ask them if they have evaluated the speed feature.Mid South has the best price I've seen,$218.If I were looing for a new one,I sure would want to check it out.
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Update, I had a customer tell me the Hornady dispenser has been working well but it was a tenth of a grain off, according to his balance beam scale.
Joe O

Post by Joe O »

The scale may not have been level,or not reading accurately with test weights.In any case,if calibrated correctly,the electronic scale on the powder dispensor should be reading the most accurate amount.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Quite frankly Scarlet, I never saw the need for a electronic powder dispenser. Drawback to any electronic measuring device is that they are subject to electrical fluctuations, temperature variations, aging components and other internal factors that require recalibration. Our electronic laboratory scale had to be kept in a isolation chamber to keep it dust and moisture free, and out of air currents that could skew results. Strain gauges are also limited in life and accuracy. I just had to replace a very expensive German made electronic weight scale due to a strain gauge failure. An electronic dispenser/scale unit with the same malfunction could dispense a dangerous under or over load.

When I read a review of the Lyman model, it was noted that a charge took 20 or more seconds to dispense. Using a standard powder measure and balance beam scale to set it, I can dispense powder charges as fast as needed, with an accuracy under .1 grain for ball powders and most fine grained extruded powders. Measures with micrometer adjustment allow me to reset to any charge within a few seconds. Even coarse extruded powders can be dispensed into the scale pan and trickled to weight as quick or quicker than an electronic dispenser.

Just like the sonic case cleaner, the electronic powder dispenser seems to be a gadget that has technological appeal, but little practical advantage over the mechanical balance beam scale and powder measure.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wrangler John wrote:Quite frankly Scarlet, I never saw the need for a electronic powder dispenser.
Just like the sonic case cleaner, the electronic powder dispenser seems to be a gadget that has technological appeal, but little practical advantage over the mechanical balance beam scale and powder measure.
Wrangler: That mirrors my thoughts also. I have a Dillon electronic scale that I quit using and went back to my trusty beam scale after repeatedly having to re-zero the thing about every third charge; wasting time and adding frustration to what is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime. My suspicions of electronic powder dispensers have been confirmed when discussing their use with owners of said equipment. I'll stick to what has worked for decades.....for me at least.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Joe O

Post by Joe O »

I have used beam scales;Redding and RCBS for 50 years and other than capacity,in the case of the Redding,(shot loads),found them to be satisfactory for all load applications.Didn't load rifle for many years,but started loaded alot of handgun.Bought a Pact electronic scale,about 20 years ago and other than changing the 9V battery a few times,it has served me well.Great for sorting bullets and cases by weight.I now load hi-volume for Prarie dogs and the Lyman DPS 3 has been a great tool for me.I loaded 3000 204 and 243AI rounds for a PD trip in May,and the auto dispence,no loading block operation was a pleasure to use.I recently modified the Lyman Powder Pal ,pan/funnel to work with a 20cal neck,eliminating the need for handling a seperate funnel.Got the pan to activate the auto dispense feature,by adding weight to the bottom.I seat bullets between loads dispensed,and 25 grains will keep you going without waiting.So interest in the Hornady ,with 3 speed options is of interest,especially loading over 40 grains.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Wrangler John wrote:...the electronic powder dispenser seems to be a gadget that has technological appeal, but little practical advantage over the mechanical balance beam scale and powder measure.
There's an English-made unit that uses a balance beam scale: http://www.targetmasteruk.com/
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

The other problem with electronic scales and dispensers is that they don't work with progressive presses. When I batch load for a hunting season I use a RCBS Pro-2000 Progressive press equipped with a Uniflow powder measure and the case activated charge drop system RCBS licensed from Hornady. I use an internal powder baffle in the measure. After setting with the balance beam scale (a 40 year old Ohaus model that has maintained its accuracy) check charges never vary by more than .1 of a grain, while most ball powders vary by even less. This provides sufficient accuracy for any of my intended purposes.

In loading smaller lots of test loads, or to replenish a small batch of cartridges, I use a Redding T-7 press and a stand alone Redding measure. Once set these measures dispense extremely accurate charges that are checked individually within less time an electronic powder dispenser would require.

It may be that because of my age, I've been around awhile, either I have developed critical thinking skills, or become a curmudgeon. I am somewhat resistant to new gadgetry for its own sake. As an example: I find the new digital book readers, such as Kindle, to be completely silly. While one may download a book, I can merely purchase a physical book to read. I don't need any batteries, power block to recharge them, or stare at a blurry screen. Just pick it up and read it, no power needed, place a bookmark where I left off (a bookmark can be anything from a gas station receipt to a corner torn off a McDonald's gut-bomb bag). A paperback is small, portable, and completely disposable. They even can be used for kindling a campfire, just tear out the pages you have already read and nothing is lost.

My gosh, I think I'm becoming one of those old men that schmooze with the young female checker in the checkout line at the grocery store. God, tell me it isn't so! :roll:
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I really like my RCBS 1500 powder dispenser. I have checked it with my balance beam and it has always been accurate. My older eyes have a hard time looking at the scale to see if it is on the center mark. It is so nice just to wait for the beep and put it in my case and it automatically starts the next one. I have had good groups with my rifles using the automatic dispenser with my rifles so I have not experienced a draw back. I listen to books on my MP3 player daily. I can listen to it while working around the house or while I am driving. Makes those 6 hour drives to skippyville much more enjoyable. :lol:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I've often thought about these gadgets (powder dispensers and scales) but haven't bit so far. One thing I hear about them is their accuracy is susceptiable to static electricity and any breeze no matter how small. I imagine on something like IMR-4064 (long kernals) it could be beneficial.

Jim