Bullet Comparator

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Bullet Comparator

Post by Malazan »

Could someone please explain the process of determining OAL using a bullet comparator?

I know it measures to the ogive instead of the tip.

Like if your bullet measures 2.355 base-to-tip, what would your measurement be using a comparator? :duh:

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Re: Bullet Comparator

Post by DoubleUp »

That will depend on the make of bullet, and whether it has a secant or tangent ogive. Hornady bullets have secant ogive and there will be little difference between the ogive on the 32 and 40g v-maxes. OAL of 2.350 will be close to an ogive measurement of 1.990 with Hornady's. 2.345 oal will be about 1.985 ogive, and 2.355 will be somewhere around 1.993 to 1.995. At least that is the way I've found it.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

A tool I think is absulotely indespensible for reloading is the Hornady LnL bullet comparator. Also their headspace gauge goes right along with it. Here is a link that explains how to use it: http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/cat ... gauges.pdf

When used properly, you can compare the length of loaded cartridges to each other, by using a more accurate measuring point, i.e. the ogive. But, the true beauty is using the gauge to measure the distance "off the lands" you have seated your bullet. The same gauge, using the headspace bushings, can measure the headspace, so to speak, of your cases. So, you can also measure how far back from a fire-formed case you want to "bump the shoulder back."
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

DoubleUp wrote:That will depend on the make of bullet, and whether it has a secant or tangent ogive. Hornady bullets have secant ogive and there will be little difference between the ogive on the 32 and 40g v-maxes. OAL of 2.350 will be close to an ogive measurement of 1.990 with Hornady's. 2.345 oal will be about 1.985 ogive, and 2.355 will be somewhere around 1.993 to 1.995. At least that is the way I've found it.

Thanks, I'm using 32gr Vmax, and 39gr SBK's

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson