Why boat tail or flat base?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Simomac
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka t3 hunter stainless

Why boat tail or flat base?

Post by Simomac »

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the reasons for or against a boat tail on a particular bullet, what are the ballistic characteristics of a boat tail compared to a flat base bullet. I notice that for instance hornady v max have a boat tail on the heavier bullet but the 32 gr has a flat base, same with sbk's. However the nosler varmint 32 gr bt has a boat tail, but the new varmegeddon 32 gr has a flat base. Thanks in advance for your comments.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Re: Why boat tail or flat base?

Post by inKYfromSD »

I'm glad you asked that question, I've been curious myself. My TC PH with 1/10 twist HATES Hornady and Nosler boattail bullets but shoots the 32 and 39 SBK great. I have quite a few bullets on hand that this rifle doesn't like. Might have to see if someone wants to trade.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

inKyfromSD -

I have some 32 gr & 39 gr SBKs that my rifle spits out cock-eyed. Can't get 'em to shoot worth a darn. Vmax and Noslers it loves.

Wanna trade?
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Most people agree that flatbase bullets are more accurate at short to mid range distances. To my knowledge this is due in part to the way that the pressure escapes the barrel around the bullet as it exits the muzzle. In addition the flatbase typically stabilize quicker and therefore the reason that they are more accurate at the shorter distances. I have heard numerous statements made that the boattail bullets outperform the flatbase in the accuracy department when shooting beyond 300 yards. Based on my experience with the 20 calibers i have not noticed that. I have shot flat base and boat tail bullets at 500 yards out of my 204 and I didn't find any difference in the level of accuracy. I will say that bullets with boat tails typically have a little bit higher BC than a flat base equivalent, in theory they can buck the wind better and also tend to drop less. Just my 2 cents, i am sure someone else will have a different answer.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:Most people agree that flatbase bullets are more accurate at short to mid range distances. To my knowledge this is due in part to the way that the pressure escapes the barrel around the bullet as it exits the muzzle. In addition the flatbase typically stabilize quicker and therefore the reason that they are more accurate at the shorter distances. I have heard numerous statements made that the boattail bullets outperform the flatbase in the accuracy department when shooting beyond 300 yards. Based on my experience with the 20 calibers i have not noticed that. I have shot flat base and boat tail bullets at 500 yards out of my 204 and I didn't find any difference in the level of accuracy. I will say that bullets with boat tails typically have a little bit higher BC than a flat base equivalent, in theory they can buck the wind better and also tend to drop less. Just my 2 cents, i am sure someone else will have a different answer.
For what it is worth, that is about what I have found, in my shooting and testing. If you want highest BC and such, then use a boat tail. Otherwise the flat base shoot just was well and for the most part, as accurate. Bill K :D
Simomac
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka t3 hunter stainless

Post by Simomac »

Thanks for the info guys, just trying to get my head around some of the otherwise unexplained variables in the reloading world. If you guys havnt noticed any difference in accuracy at 500 yards then that's good enough for me. ;)
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Boattailed bullet have better aerodynamics, which translates to a higher BC and better long-distance flight characteristics. Flat base bullets carry more of their weight nearer their perimeter, which increases stability. And a flat base bullet is simpler to manufacture, which means they tend to have fewer flaws, which translates into more regular flight and better accuracy.
dave22250
.204 Ruger Guns: T.C.encore 15 inch

Post by dave22250 »

I agree boat tails usually have better ballistics but hornadys 32 grn has a slight edge on the bcs than nosler 32 grn.
stein
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 ar-15 frankenstein.

Post by stein »

+1. Also flat base fills the barrel so gases aren't trying to escape around the bullet like they do on boat tails. Might just be me though.