204 load tests...

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

204 load tests...

Post by Zeus »

I started this subject yesterday in the rifle forum but figured it would be more of a reloading topic so I'll post further results here.......

Since my testing didn't go well with Varget and 39 grain sierra blitzkings in my TC Encore Pro hunter barrel I went to the reloading shop today and picked up a couple more powders to try. Of the many choices I had I went with a pound each of H4895 and RE10x. Both shot better on average than the Varget did but H4895 seemed to shoot the best....Now keep in mind since I was testing some new powders I only loaded 3 sets of 3 to get an idea on where my pressure signs will start showing up. Each load was .5 grains more than the previous one. Here are some of the results.

The first test groups I shot were a 39 grain blitzking pushed along with some H4895. The first group missed the target so I didn't get a pic of it....needless to say it was the worst of the bunch @ 1.325"

Here is a picture of the second group.....the wind was blowing pretty good so I did the best I could but it was showing up a little in the groups. Things tightened up considerable over the first group....this one measured .750"

My 3rd and final group showed even more promise coming in @ .670"

My testing with RE10x showed some vertical stringing with all the groups. I was pretty chilly by this time and I could have probably done better....but they are what they are....This was the best of the bunch @ .880"

The 2 other groups with RE10x were a little bigger but not by much and the vertical stringing persisted. It appears that H4895 is showing the most promise. The velocities are right in line with the manuals and I'm not seeing any signs of excess pressure. The RE10x loads were starting to flatten the primers at a lower average velocity than H4895 so I'll be giving the latter more scrutiny with 5 shot groups and COL testing.

I also ran some more rounds through my Remington SPS 204. Since my velocity numbers were pretty low compared to the manual and there were no pressure signs with a 32 grain V-max I bumped the load of WC844 up .5 grains and shot a 5 shot group. I didn't gain much velocity but I was able to shoot a group that was roughly 1/4" smaller than the one I tested yesterday.

Here is that group....this was 5 shots measuring in @ .775" Since I have a few pounds of this powder left this will be the load combination that I load up for my varmint rounds in this rifle......

All the groups were shot @ 100 yards. Cool and windy doesn't bode well with concentration so I'll be revisiting the most accurate of these loads.
Last edited by Zeus on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Re: 204 load tests...

Post by Rich V »

What is the charge of R10X you'er using?
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Rich V wrote:What is the charge of R10X you'er using?
Rich, following the Sierra load data I used 23.0, 23.5 and 24.0 grains......the latter being .4 grains below max according to their data.
tractorman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS SF

Post by tractorman »

I know the Hornady manual has some 40gr loads at 3850 fps. It might have something for you to look at?
Rich V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Varmint

Post by Rich V »

Zeus

My CZ didn't start to shoot the 39BK until the load got hot. I worked it up very slowly to 25.8 grs. of R10X. This is a hot load, just on the border line for my rifle, and I'm Thinking about backing it down some.
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Yeah, it looks like I might need to step it up a little bit and see what happens....
Shamu25
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint in .204

Post by Shamu25 »

My CZ also loves them on the hot side. Awesome groups with 39 bk's and 25.6 gr of benchmark
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

Zeus wrote:
Rich, following the Sierra load data I used 23.0, 23.5 and 24.0 grains......the latter being .4 grains below max according to their data.
according to the Alliant site 27.6 is the max for RL10 and the Sierra 39. Mine found happiness with 24.5.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... lletid=264
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Post by jlc204 »

HoundofSC wrote:
Zeus wrote:
according to the Alliant site 27.6 is the max for RL10 and the Sierra 39. Mine found happiness with 24.5.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... lletid=264
BE CAREFUL WHEN POSTING LOADS!!!! THAT CHARGE IS FOR POWER PRO VARMINT POWDER, NOT 10X. SOMEONE COULD HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!