My .204 saga - long...

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

My .204 saga - long...

Post by inKYfromSD »

Ahhh, the search for the perfect load for our beloved .204’s! :) I kind of went overboard when I bought the rifle. The gunshop gave me two boxes each of 32 & 40 VMax factory rounds and I knew that wasn’t going to suffice for long. I grabbed a bunch of different bullets from the three major players, Nosler 32 gr , Sierra 32 & 40, and Hornady 32 & 40, 300 pieces of brass, and 1,000 CCI 400 primers. I didn't know about CRT then or I would have bought some of his too!.

I shot a box of the 32's and the 40's as part of the break in process. Results were less than stellar but as I was still breaking in the barrel I wasn't too concerned. I instantly fell in love with being able to see the impact through the Nikon 6-18.

Next the real fun started. Print a bunch of the OCW targets on heavy paper and start loading. I soon found out that the CCI 400's were not the primer to use in this round. My first-ever pierced primer was a bit of a surprise. Luckily I have two other rifles that use them so it's ok. CCI 450’s and Rem 7 ½’ were quickly acquired. The 32 and 39 Sierras shot fantastic out of the TC PH's 1:10 (measured) twist barrel! Tiny groups and pretty consistent velocity on the days we measured them. The 32 SBK likes 28.9 grains of BL-C(2) and the 39's like 24.6 grains of RL10X, powders I already had on hand. If they were the only bullets I had purchased, I would have quit right there and been quite content. Who am I kidding? Who could have stopped on the first bullets tested? :)

So I still had 3 other bullets (1,250 of them in 5 boxes) to try. **Don't buy the 250 pack until you KNOW that your rifle will shoot them, even if they’re on sale**. HINT: We need to start something where first-timers can get 25-30 bullets to test with. Anyway, I shot the 32 gr Noslers and settled on 27.1 grains of Benchmark as the best this bullet would do in my rifle. Decent groups, under and inch @ 100, but not great. I have not tried the 40 gr Ballistic tips since I already have a .223 AR-15 that shoots 50 gr BT's very well. I'm really looking for the 32's to shoot well. Doesn't matter whose bullets, I just want them to shoot small groups and be fairly fast.

The VMaxs proved to be a test of patience and reloading. I went through five different powders and almost an entire box of 250 40 gr VMaxs before I found a combination that would shoot in my Icon PH. My rifle does ok with 27.4 grains of IMR4895 for the 40's. I have a pound of H4895 that I might play with later on. The 32's were interesting to shoot. They had group sizes from 2" down to 3/4". I tried Benchmark hoping that they'd like it better than the Noslers. They didn't. 28.5 grains of IMR8208XBR proved to be what they like the best. I still have an unopened 250 pack of 32 grain Noslers, and 32 gr and 40 gr Vmaxs. They’ll be plinking rounds for the kids and to break in the Cooper barrel when my next .204 gets here. They do make a mess of overripe fruit and aluminum cans filled with water.

I don't turn necks. I didn't know how long the chamber was until last week. I don't weigh and sort brass or bullets. I do weigh each powder load and balance them to the kernel. I don't measure runout. I have Redding and Lee seating dies that I use for different bullets. I have a Hornady comparator that I use along with calipers to measure COAL. I do try to be as consistent as I can. I neck size with a Lee collet and recently bought a body die to use instead of my Redding neck size die when the shoulders need bumping back. Hopefully using this with the collet will keep neck tension consistent. I also learned that my rifle really doesn’t like to be all that clean. It doesn’t copper foul very much at all so I got lucky there.

The quest for the "perfect" load can be frustrating, lengthy, and somewhat expensive. But it can also be fun! We all enjoy shooting so anything that makes us more familiar with our rifles can’t be a bad thing. Experience with my .204 Ruger has shown that this can be a picky caliber - a load that shoots well in one person's rifle probably isn’t going to shoot well in someone else's, 2/10’s of a grain of powder can make a big difference. The light recoil makes this rifle a lot of fun. My kids love to make orange juice out of old fruit with it. I had the oppoprtunity to use mine to shoot prairie dogs last fall. That was FUN!!!

I've learned that there is a TON of help available on this site. Take advantage of it and good luck!
Last edited by inKYfromSD on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

RE: My .204 saga - long...

Post by boomer84 »

Ah those age old questions! What is perfect load? What is the meaning of life? These are the question we seek! The answers are different for each individual to figure out for themselves. So that's where the journey and fun begins! Some thing shouldn't have a cheat sheet. If all rifles were the same where would be the fun in that. Though it would be a whole lot cheaper. Ha ha ha

Boomer

Over and out.

Sent from my LG-C900k using Board Express
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Re: My .204 saga - long...

Post by 204cat »

buy a reloading shop did you ? feel like that every time i exit the resupply store. interesting read. it is always amazing how many changes are made before you find "the load".
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

204cat - Isn't that the truth! The guys who found the right combination too early are missing half the fun! They aren't learning anything aobut their rifles. :) And we're just that much closer to having the custom re-barrel job done! I feel like I bought a shop sometimes. The online places might have a better selection and slightly better prices, but hanging out in a gunshop that's been around since 1863 is priceless. I never seem to leave empty-handed. Sometimes it's stuff I buy, sometimes it's a free hat or shirt. **Helpful hint #2 : Don't walk into your LGS with a Cabelas cap on your head. **
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

And just when you almost get your load sorted, you run out of bullets. So you order some more and instead of 3 shot groups under half inch, you get a shotgun pattern :wall:
Then the "FUN" begins again
But if it all went to plan, we might never learn.
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Post by Zeus »

I've found that it's an exception to the rule if a gun wants to be clean. The vast majority of ones that I've owned all needed to be dirty to shoot worth a darn.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I have found about the same, my rifles seem to need one to two shots down a clean barrel, then they settle down and all the rest will start cutting each other. Bill K
Bangflop
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ target varmint

Post by Bangflop »

This site steered me to 10X and 39g Sierras for my CZ and it easily shoots .5 moa across a wide charge weight and seating depth. Great info here and happy you guys sold me on the 204.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Just like some, Rio for one, pointed me towards the 204 & 20VT, this occured to you, but the rifle's will sell themselves when you try them, as you found out. Bill K
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by Inrut24/7 »

I went through about the same process as you untill i found what i thought was the perfect load with my howa and 39 grn blitzkings. I used Varget, h322, H335, Reloader 15 and reloader 10x, I went with 25.1 grns reloader 10x and have been shooting that load for 2 years on pa groundhogs and punching paper.
About a year ago I picked up a can of imr8208 xbr and put it up on the shelf in the closet, and thats where i stayed for about 11 months, well a few weeks a ago I remembered about the "magic powder" that i had in the closet and loaded up 5 different test loads of 5 rounds each with it and the 39 blitz kings, The lowest load i tried was 26.5 and the top load was 27.3 and now all i can say is that all my testing with rl 10x is now out the window. My gun shot tiny groups with every charge i tried. I have a few more test loads to try, but a write up with pics is in the near future!!!
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

mine shot good out of the box. first was a box of factory loads. which i reloaded with 10x but copied everything else. when those brass got old then i got new brass. bin the same since. just got imr8208xbr because it is less temp sensitive.