Coyote size??

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Coyote size??

Post by Ray P »

Western coyote's larger than eastern ones?? What is considered a good size coyote? 30lbs, 35lbs or 40lbs or larger
How big do coyotes get? Females bigger than males?
Sorry if these questions were already asked.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
CV32

Post by CV32 »

Males are generally larger than females. Eastern coyotes are generally larger than western ones, northern coyotes are generally larger than southern ones, and northeastern coyotes are generally the largest of all. 40+ lbs is not uncommon in the northeast, and sometimes 50+. A good sized coyote all around I would say is about 35 lb.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

:lol: CV32 a big thankyou! I appreciate the quick response.
Whoo 50 lbs. That as big as someone house dog. If it doesn't have a collar or bell on it.
Thanks again.
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
cracker

Post by cracker »

Ray P
I shot one last year that was only 25 lbs. It was a long way to the truck and by the time i got to the truck he was over 55LBS.the farther you are from the truck or road the more they weigh. plus what the other guys said
sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

wieght

Post by Ryan S Albright »

The largest male I've shot was 47lbs here in Riverside county California I've heard the largest was 53 lbs. I hear in the northwest they get near 85 lbs around the Canadian border to me thats a wolf. Twice up in Oregon I saw coyotes that walked like wolves and were very large. I am just as happy with a 30 lb female or young male as some times the old dogs have heavy guard hair and stink a little. The coyotes a very healthy hear no fleas or tick problem I did see one with mange once but only one.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

On the internet they get to be well over 80 lbs.

In reality they seldom get to 50 lbs. and rarely over 40 lbs.

Most of the ones I see here in CO go between 20-25
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

All I know is my german shorthair (his name is Ruger by the way) is a little smaller than most coyotes but weighs just over 50#. So they always look way heavier in the scope than they are. Maybe WrzWaldo or sammyc can come up with some sort of "parallax adjusted canine density vs. range X scope magnification formula".
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

For reference I am 6'5"

The coyote in this picture weighs 39 lbs. 14 oz.

skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

this one is much more common in size and weighs a mere 22 lb. right on.

BRADFORDcoHUNTER

Post by BRADFORDcoHUNTER »

Eastern are generally bigger than western, and Northeastern/canadian yotes tend to run the biggest. Id say average size here in the east is probably low to mid 30lb range. I'm not sure why so many people are balking at the notion of more than a few 50 pounder's being taken...especially here in Pennsylvania. Last year's contest winner was a 51 lb FEMALE!

I'm not saying they are REAL common here, but more than a few 50 pounder's get taken a year in PA's big woods. Now 80 lbs...that's a real rarity. They ALL look small to me anyways, because I come home everyday to my American Bulldog, who weighs in at 152 pounds.
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Ray; I have weighed every coyote I have shot since December 1999. Of 123 animals, the heaviest was a male which weighed 46 pounds. The vast majority are between 30 and 35 pounds, both male and female. At this time of year, juveniles (born last spring) should be about 26 to 32 pounds and adults a bit heavier. Weight is an unreliable criterion unless you look at a lot of coyotes over a period of time. I have seen them eat about ten pounds of meat from a deer carcass in one sitting. As for the 80 pounders, all I can say is that I would like to see a DNA analysis of that animal or maybe an alcohol test on the guy that reported it. :eek:
CV32

Post by CV32 »

A wildlife biologist friend of mine just got back from collaring a few coyotes that hang out around our caribou herds. They collared one pair where the male weighed 54 lb and the female 47 lb. Wowsers. :eek:
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

A few years back I zapped the biggest coyote I've ever taken. Don't know what it weighed, but it measured a full 60" from nose to tail. Heavy sucker to haul out to the truck though... :D I suspect somewhere around 50# or so.

That's a 7mm Rem mag Sendero on the 'yote rug. We do get some pretty good sized 'yotes here in Washington, and I suspect they take a fair toll on the mule deer herds.

Regards, Guy
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks again to all who shared info and pictures. This a great site! Thanks again
Later all.
Ray P ;)
Varmonter

Post by Varmonter »

i think the largest recorded here in vt was 63 lbs . they do run big here
in the north east..