Couple of videos

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Couple of videos

Post by surfclod »

Here are a couple videos from last summer

A pigeon on a grain bin roof.

And a gopher, (Richardson Ground Squirrel) our local species of praire dog.

I hope these work, its my first try at this sort of stuff. I'm to this site daily but mostly just lurk and read posts
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, works perfectly, and was exactly the result I expected. Bird = poof! Skippy jumped! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

It's hard to beat an exploding bird! Unless of course it's something else exploding...
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

:eek: That's what I call being shot down when you are trying to get some :player: Gary
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Captqc wrote::eek: That's what I call being shot down when you are trying to get some :player: Gary
BOOOOOO! Bad form Gary :)

The rabbit i shot the other day looked like that bird. :)
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Very Inspirational thanks for sharing
"Bad Dad" Given to me by my 8 year old son after watching a 60's movie were I had to explain “BAD” as being “Awesome, Sweet, Rad":cool: . Love that kid
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

He sure was ful of himself!!

Well,, up to a point anyhow. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

haha...I got a kick out of those videos....that just adds fuel to the fire...two more months and I'll be headed out on my first PD hunt.

When out at the club I always hope some poop black bird will land in the range but it hasn't happened yet.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

I was just watching the pigeon video again and it looks like it may have been a two for one shot...
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

WrzWaldo wrote:I was just watching the pigeon video again and it looks like it may have been a two for one shot...
I thought that to at first, but wait till the end and look at the left and you can see the other bird flying away.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Bun, I just call'em as I see'em :shrug: Gary
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

BunGhoLeo

Yep I see it.
surfclod

Pigeon was 2 for 1 shot

Post by surfclod »

Yes the pigeon was 2 with one shot, unintentional.

All I seen was feathers in the scope after the shot, but those watching said I had got both. Later we found 3 feet amoung the carnage.

I believe what is misteaken for a whole (live) bird is a large part that exits the stage to the right very rapidly. Ended up on top of the grain truck.

The funniest thing was that it was a very calm evening and the feathers stayed in a cloud about 30' in diameter and slowly floated the 100 yards towards us. It was like heavy snowfall in August.

My cousins from the city thought that it was the greatest thing they have ever seen.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

A three footed pigeon? That's bad azz! :)

There must have been another bird on the other side of that silo. The one we see on the left left is a whole bird flying away. I was able to pause the video, after five mintues of attempts, and it's clearly visable. And the idoit i am i replayed it before thinking about a screen cap! :/ I really hate flash videos, mpg all the way!

Is it legal there to shoot roosting birds? I remember hearing here in kentucky that only birds in flight are legal, or something to that nature.
surfclod

Now I see it!!!

Post by surfclod »

I had never noticed it before but sure enought there is one fluttering by in the lower left between grain bin roofs. No surprise though our farm had dozens of the filthy things. One gun shot and they all took to flight.

There were about 10 bins in a row some with bin lids closed that they sit on and others with lids open that they fly inside of to eat and crap all over the grain. The filthy birds would crap all over our farm equipment as well, it was corrosive enough to ruin the paint if not washed soon enough.
Is it legal there to shoot roosting birds? I remember hearing here in kentucky that only birds in flight are legal, or something to that nature.
Legalities? Not really sure, always seen as a varmint and treated as such. Like many non-native species they are considered pests and have no limit or season. ( :( I miss the farm) All the farmers and ranchers hate them because they are so messy and damaging. We always thin them out regularly as they are such a nusaince.

They got smart enough to flee when within 50-75 yards to be safe from .22 or shotgun, but when the arrived .204 they had to relearn thier "safe" distance