Portable shooting benches

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Portable shooting benches

Post by Mike »

I'm looking for a new portable shooting bench to take out in the prairie dog fields. I'd like to hear some feedback from you about what you've used that was good, bad and indifferent. As much as I'd love to have one of Rick's benches, that's simply not in the cards for me right now. I'm looking for something less than $150.

Thanks,
Mike
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Mike, I understand the cost issue of a BR Pivot, but if you buy something cheap you'll more than likley end up buying quality later anyway. If I were you I'd sell a car or a kid or wife or something and get the best from the start. (okay, just kidding about selling a kid :lol: ) There are less expensive "copies" of the BR Pivot around but they ain't even close. Once you use the BR you'll be convinced that it was worth the money. Do it once and do it right. Check sites such as Go Go Varmint Classified sometimes a used one shows up.
Here's a pic of my set-up in the field.
Gary
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Captqc we have the same gun i love mine it shoots like a dream[img][img]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/ ... G_0092.jpg[/img][/img]
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Majcl5, I love mine also :D It's a great gun and only cost $650. Where did you get the muzzle break? Do you notice a difference with it on? Gary
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I had a local gunsmith put mine on along with bedding the stock and checking the barrel for clearence from the stock along with he got my trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs with just ordering a new spring. But for the break i love it , Cuts down the muzzel jump ,It hardly moves i see everything . One of my Sage Rat buddys Has a .204 without a break and after shooting ours he is getting one asap.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Mike, I sure hope that you took my advice and checked Go Go Varmint Classified cause a BR Pivot just sold for $350 with bags! :eek: That's one of those Holy Cow :lol: deals that you hate to miss out on! Gary
Mike

Post by Mike »

Captqc wrote:Mike, I sure hope that you took my advice and checked Go Go Varmint Classified cause a BR Pivot just sold for $350 with bags! :eek: That's one of those Holy Cow :lol: deals that you hate to miss out on! Gary
:depress:

I've been so focused on getting ready for my trip that I haven't been following the boards. I sure hate to miss out on that deal though!
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Dang, I was hoping it was you that snagged that deal...Oh well someone sure got a good deal. Maybe it was another member lurking around here. Keep looking, obviously there are deals out there! Gary
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Mike, I remembered this thread. Here is what I did....... Since one of Rick's was outta my reach, and I don't use bench all that much, I just built one. The top is a scrap of 1 and 1/8th OSB(waferboard),scrounged off a jobsite. I belt sanded it smooth, cut some slots to stand rifles in, and rounded over the edges, followed by a few coats of Poly. For the legs, I kinda copied the way the Stuckeys bench is done, only I used 1" pipe and angle iron from a bedframe.. An open- ended, carpet covered shelf was added underneath, to put rangerfinders and ammo in outta the sun. Or it will hold 3 guns to cool off. For a stool, a baseball bucket is used. Perfect height and holds lots of stuff.
For rests, I built a front out of a screwjack from my wifes wrecked '89 Dodge Omni. Added a corian bag base, and a pipe flange/floorbase as a crank wheel. Ugly, but fast and surprisingly steady. I then took a quick-grip clamp, cut down and welded a stud on top. A busted ball-swivel window mount attaches the spotter. The clamp also holds the legs in the stored position in the shelf. I spent about $65 bucks total(including the caldwell rest bags), the remainder was stuff in my shop. Painted the legs to match the rifle........ Here she be.
Storage shelf.
Front rest.
Scope mount.

Last one......

I would love a swivel bench, but this will do for me and both of my lefty boys, as I built it ambidextrious. It is a big improvement over the sawhorse deallie we used in the past(complete with sawdust filled innertube rest). My boys.......
What did you ever come up with? Hope this'll give you an idea. Don
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

Here's one for $180.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

I saw one that was BAD! on a hunting commercial, but I can't remember who made it! :evil:
I thought it was Caldwell or Pine Ridge or ??????????????

I found it!
Made by RCBS - thier RASS - Rapid Acquisition Shooting System - $300
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mpaign=655
I like this one because it pivots up and down (elevation) on the fly! Good Stuff!
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

huntsman22 wrote: What did you ever come up with? Hope this'll give you an idea. Don
Don, that's a nice looking bench!

To be honest, I haven't done anything yet. After my prairie dog hunt, I decided that I would get some sort of pivoting bench when the time is right. I'm not sure if I'll make one or buy one, but that's the plan. I don't really need a bench around the house, just out in the field. My goal is to get set up before my next prairie dog adventure in '08.

I appreciate the pictures and ideas, you've got a nice setup.
Mike

Post by Mike »

.204 Sniper wrote:I found it!
Made by RCBS - thier RASS - Rapid Acquisition Shooting System - $300
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mpaign=655
I like this one because it pivots up and down (elevation) on the fly! Good Stuff!
I was excited when I first saw this bench featured on TV. What baffles me is the lack of a surface area! That setup would be so much more appealing (at least to me) if there was a table top mounted to it. I guess I could do that on my own, but if I was going to do all of that, I'd rather buy one of Rick's beauties.
WT

Re:

Post by WT »

[quote="huntsman22"]Mike, I remembered this thread. Here is what I did....... Since one of Rick's was outta my reach, and I don't use bench all that much, I just built one.

8) Gotta love that Yankee Engine Nudity! :mrgreen:
Wayne,

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"
NRA Life Member 30+ Years
majcl5

Re: Portable shooting benches

Post by majcl5 »

Made my own.
Last edited by majcl5 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Portable shooting benches

Post by Rick in Oregon »

You'll all be glad to hear that there will very soon be a new version of my BR Pivot available from Midway USA. I sold my patent to them, and they are bringing out three models this month.

I no longer am producing the BRP, and you'll see full page ads in Varmint Hunter Magazine soon for the new benches. The good news is that they will be less expensive, so you won't have to cobble up something in your garage. :lol:

Now I'll have more time to spend what I love to do the most....snipe varmints! (not to mention retire earlier!!!) :wink:

This is what I'll look like ALL the time now. In the field!

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails