Q's for our "Coyote Gods"

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Q's for our "Coyote Gods"

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Sorry I couldn't resist.
I think I may have found one of those rare "Honey Hole" kind of spots for coyotes and now I need advice on how to handle it.
Last weekend a friend and I were out at a spot that I have seen a lot of sign. I know they are there just not when or how often.
Coming into our second stand we came upon a fairly new dead cow. I have heard alot about hunting near, or on, carcasses. The problem is that this cow is right in the only trees around. The same trees that we use for concealment to get in and cover once we are there.
So do I try to find a spot to overlook the cow and treat it like bait? Or is it enough just to have it there to bring them into the area. I really like sneaking in behind these trees but am afraid of scaring dogs off of the cow on my way in.
The other question is...How long would it take coyotes to start chewing on Bessy? It looks as though it has been there 1-2 weeks but there is no sign of anything feeding on it. No tracks, no chew marks, not even the birds have gotten to it. There is probably no shortage of food around this area but a free meal like that has got to be hard to pass up. There was dog dung within 30 yrds of the carcass that couldn't have been more than a week old.
Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Q's for our "Coyote Gods"

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Rugerdoggie: First off, there's no God-like persona here, trust me on that one. ;)

But that's an interesting/challenging situation too. Wearing scent-proof boots, plug your nose and open up a ham to get the scent (stench) into the air, being careful not to spread your scent anywhere on the critter. Then I'd suggest a spot out in the sagebrush, downwind from ole Bossie about 75 yards. Find the tallest sage there is downwind to break up your outline, full camo, face mask, gloves, etc, get there early and see what comes in to a call once the scent is in the air. A call might not even be needed in that situation.

Ideally, cut the carcass the afternoon prior to the morning you intend to hunt, that way they'll have all night to get to business on the round steaks, and may stick around until first light once it's cut open for them.

Good luck; let us know how it works out. Anyone got any other ideas? Anyone?........
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Drag the dead cow to where it'll do you the most good. Don
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

huntsman22 wrote:Drag the dead cow to where it'll do you the most good. Don
Excellent advice.....

JMO - BCB
20-250ai

Post by 20-250ai »

Huntsman is dead on!

Also, you might try using coyote Kie-yie's to help bring them in after moving the heffer. It's important that you take the first coyote as close to you as you can so you leave room for the next, they won't come in over a dead yote, so take the next 40 yard further out and so on.

Good luck!................20-250ai