Looking for places to hunt PD in Wyoming

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
bri26064
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FV

Looking for places to hunt PD in Wyoming

Post by bri26064 »

I live in northern Utah and my Dad and I are looking for places to hunt PD's. Our only problem is that we can't do a whole lot of off roading, my dad had 9 screws put in his back last year. Anyhow, we are looking for places close to south western Wyoming and Utah. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brian
MinotBob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender G2 .204 Ruger

Re: Looking for places to hunt PD in Wyoming

Post by MinotBob »

Well if you got lots of time you can search yourself using Google Earth. I was able to locate more than 20 PD towns in NW North Dakota just east of Sidney MT. These PD mounds stick out like a sore thumb once you finally know what to look for. You can also use Google Maps but prefer Google Earth. Here is a link to one I found in Google Earth, http://tinyurl.com/2mtseq

Each of those little white spots is a PD hole.
MinotBob
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Bri, I can gladly give up my old spot as I moved out of SLC (thank God!) a little over a year ago.
Go up through Evanston to the Kemmerer exit. Go north. JUST past mile marker 18 there is a little dirt road on the left with a gate. Don't worry it's public land. Go west on that road. You will start seeing pdogs after about 1/2 mile but the really good shooting is about a mile out. When you come to a fork at about 3/4 mile, stay right. The road is pretty rough but there is no real need to go more than a mile and a half.
There are supposed to be even more dogs up around Kemmerer but I never needed to go looking for them.
I've been shooting up there for the past 2 summers ('05 and '06) and have only been disappointed once. There do tend to be fewer targets toward the end of the season, like now. It is a great place to go in the spring when UT wont let you shoot at the young'uns. Also, if you want to get out and walk around the cottontails are hardly scared of people and the jackrabbits are FREAKIN HUGE.
I encourage you to go. It's only 100miles from SLC, about 2 hrs. Please let me know how you do. It would be interesting to hear how they are doing without me around!!! LOL!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
bgaston

Post by bgaston »

Bri,
I live in Ogden, but just moved down here from wyoming about 2 years ago. I worked in the oilfield for almost 5 years, and I grew up in wyoming, so i know the area pretty good. You can usually find some dogs anywhere close to Granger Wyoming. If you take the interstate past Evanston, and past Lyman/Mountain View, look for a place called Church Buttes. This is probably about 15-20 miles past Mountain View. You will want to be on the North side of the interstate. There are about a million dirt roads out there, you can usually just drive around and spot them out. Most of the roads are on the north side, but there are some on the south as well. Just look at a map and look for Granger, really anywhere around Granger has plenty of dogs. Also, the other place towards Kemmerer sounds good as well, i have never been there. Closer for ya too.
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Did anybody ever go try my spot in WY?

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Utahshooter01
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter

Post by Utahshooter01 »

Thanks for posting hunting areas for the World to see ! Hard enough to find good places, if somone asks, keep it in private messages :wall:
bri26064
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FV

Post by bri26064 »

Well I appreciate all the help I have gotten. I thank all of you who have shared. My dad and I aren't big hunters so we don't know of all the places to go. So, again, thanks for all the help and keep it up.
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Utahshooter, perhaps you should hang out on the local forum, Utahwildlife.net. Over there they love to give each other destructive criticism and tell each other what to do.
Around here it's just a bunch of good guys trying to help each other out. If I sent a PM then it wouldn't help near as many people now would it?
Did you notice that post has been up there for close to 4 months and nobody has had a problem with it?

Utahshooter01

Post by Utahshooter01 »

Rugerdog, just trying to protect my own hunting areas, I have been hunting in that area for years, and until last year when someone posted online about it being a good area, I almost would never see anyone else all day long ! Last year we actually had people following us and had shots fired in our direction, it only makes good common sense these days to keep hunting areas and shareing info on them to yourself or let someone know in private, keep it OFF the internet, do you have a problem with that ?
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Utahshooter01 wrote:Rugerdog, just trying to protect my own hunting areas,
This is your private land?

I have been hunting in that area for years, and until last year when someone posted online about it being a good area, I almost would never see anyone else all day long !
Public land?

Last year we actually had people following us and had shots fired in our direction,
Seems like a hunter education issue.

it only makes good common sense these days to keep hunting areas and shareing info on them to yourself
If you keep it to yourself how is that sharing?

or let someone know in private, keep it OFF the internet, do you have a problem with that ?
I do have a problem with it if it is public land...
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Utahshooter01 wrote:Rugerdog, just trying to protect my own hunting areas, I have been hunting in that area for years, and until last year when someone posted online about it being a good area, I almost would never see anyone else all day long ! Last year we actually had people following us and had shots fired in our direction, it only makes good common sense these days to keep hunting areas and shareing info on them to yourself or let someone know in private, keep it OFF the internet, do you have a problem with that ?
I've got to agree with WrzWaldo. If these places are not your own private land, then you have no more right to hunt them than anyone else. I can completely understand your desire to enjoy a great hunting area in peace, and as such you have every right to keep such places to yourself. However, you don't have any right to chastise someone else for disclosing public hunting locations to other forum members.
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

I guess I know who I will not share places to go with. He might claim them for himself or probably for his buddies too. Sounds like the hunter who lays claim to "his" mountain.
Utahshooter01

Post by Utahshooter01 »

Sorry you took it the wrong way boys, but next time you tell the world about your favorite hunting spot, and you go out there and can't find anyplace to hunt, blame yourselves, the world is a smaller place now thanks to the internet.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

The way you posted there was really only one way to see it.
Thanks for posting hunting areas for the World to see ! Hard enough to find good places, if somone asks, keep it in private messages
If you want to keep your areas to yourself that's fine, but don't come in here telling other's how to post... 'nuf said,

(1)
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I do have a problem with that, but Waldo, Mike, and Yotesmoker did a great job of covering it for me. Well said boys!!!